Harty Cup 2022/23

Harty Cup Quarter Final Result

Charleville CBS 1-20 Midleton CBS 2-11.

This is a massive result for the little school in North Cork. Charleville CBS have been the shock story all year in this competition, and continued with a huge shock result beating the star studded, well fancied Midleton CBS side comprehensively. For context, Midleton's Barry Walsh scored 2-1 in the last 5 minutes to make the score look more respectable. It is also worth noting that Charleville were down to 14 men for the last 25 minutes of the game.

Charleville CBS's enrolment numbers have drastically decreased over the last 10 years or so. Neighbouring schools such as Coláiste Mhuire Buttevant, Hazelwood College Dromcollogher, Coláiste Íosaif Kilmallock and Scoil Pól Kilfinane have all had massive renovations to their schools in recent years, had huge increases in enrolment and this had to have a knock on effect on the schools in Charleville town. Charleville CBS seemed to have suffered greatly as a result as well as Mannix College in Charleville closing down in 2012. From what I'm hearing, Charleville CBS would be doing well to have 200 boys enrolled in their school. It is a testament to some of their teachers, coaches and local GAA clubs for keeping hurling alive in the school, even on limited resources. To make a Harty Cup semi final against huge Munster schools is a fantastic achievement. Midleton CBS on the other hand could have 800+ boys walking through their doors.

You could see the Newtownshandrum influence on the team today with Donal Mulcahy and Cathal O' Brien involved in their coaching setup. Their hurling was sharp and crisp. I was very impressed by their use of the ball. They were hungry and worked hard all day, not giving Midleton the respect they thought they deserved. Most impressive for me was Kieran Murphy (Newtown) in goals who also scored 2 frees, Seán Bresnan (Charleville) wing back, Bill Collins (Newtown) Centre back and Robert Troy (Newtown) midfield, all lovely stick men. Christopher Dunne (Dromina) good from frees, topping that up with 3 lovely points from play. Gareth Gleeson (Charleville) corner forward, small but with a huge heart, scored 2 points but won about 4 or 5 frees.

If Charleville CBS had Kristian O' Gorman from Charleville (goes to Scoil Pól), Johnny Murphy from Dromina (goes to Hazelwood College) and Zach Biggane (did his Leaving Cert in CBS at 17 years of age), they'd have a right good team. Their full forward Joe Hickey from Ballyhea was injured today too.

Midleton CBS were very disappointing it must be said. Very flat performance from start to finish. I've seen Midleton CBS getting knocked out the last 3 years in similar fashion. Lacking in hunger and bite and very flat, despite their huge talent in their panels. I know they are only young lads but you'd have to question management for this lack of fight and determination. Also, their use of the ball and execution was way off what is required at this level.

I know Midleton CBS are better than this and were below par, but you'd expect better from a team with 9 or 10 lads who wore the Cork Jersey. Only 1 or maybe 2 of the Charleville lads wore a Cork Jersey at minor level. On the Cork minors, it is very hard for selectors to select players for their U17 panels at 15 or 16 years of age because they are so young. As Harty Cup is now Under 19, you are seeing 17 and 18 year olds getting good exposure to a high level of hurling and probably much physically stronger than when they were 16, yet might not have been picked for a Cork minor squad because they were late bloomers. That's the joys of it I suppose.

All in all, huge well done to Charleville on a magnificent win today. I'm lead to believe they are playing Nenagh CBS next in the semi final, who easily overturned CBC today so they will be up against it, but they will not shy away from them anyway.

Last edited:
Similar to the prediction you made that Charleville were going to batter Killavullen I suppose. Remind me what happened there again??
Great comeback , just like kilavullen forgot to turn up in 1st round of county is it???? This is top level sport. Midleton are drawing from a huge amount of strong hurling clubs and can’t put it together when it matters. No midleton player started which is a bit strange.

Great comeback , just like kilavullen forgot to turn up in 1st round of county is it???? This is top level sport. Midleton are drawing from a huge amount of strong hurling clubs and can’t put it together when it matters. No midleton player started which is a bit strange.
Shocks happen. Midleton were strong favourites in most peoples eyes. Why you would want to needle another poster for holding that view says more about you than me.
Kudos to Charleville. Some achievement for a school of its size to get to a Harty semi (*so far!).

I know Midleton CBS are better than this and were below par, but you'd expect better from a team with 9 or 10 lads who wore the Cork Jersey. Only 1 or maybe 2 of the Charleville lads wore a Cork Jersey at minor level.
I know it's only one game but a team with 10 former Cork minors shouldn't be well beaten by a team with 2 former Cork Minors, there's something wrong there.

This doesn't reflect well on the way Cork minors are selected. Hopefully this will be rectified come the U20 selections

I know it's only one game but a team with 10 former Cork minors shouldn't be well beaten by a team with 2 former Cork Minors, there's something wrong there.

This doesn't reflect well on the way Cork minors are selected. Hopefully this will be rectified come the U20 selections
Individual success does not automatically equal team success.

I'm hearing that the CBS thought they were doing rocket science and go themselves tied up in knots instead of going out to win the game. Sometimes the simpler the better.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Roamer
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

10th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Days Of Trees (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 6pm

More events ▼