Go On Meehaul!

Great speech but he lost the opportunity to refer to the failure of Mike Noonan to vote against the pay deal to Richie Bouchier
I took a straw pool of FF Supporters and non members and all said that he has failed to outline his policy on the Banks by this omission if he outlined his position clearly he would have won huge support from every quarter
A pity FF will suffer again at the next election

As I said in the other thread. ..........

Made a list. Ticked it off through the speech and in the summary.

Obvious targets. Obvious solutions. Almost all valid points.

One problem. He's leading FF. As toxic as ever and per the demonstrations outside not forgiven.

He won't get the chance.

Key point though that was spot on is this - FG and to a lesser extent Labour but especially FG believe it's their turn and it's driving their whole approach to governing.

Great speech but he lost the opportunity to refer to the failure of Mike Noonan to vote against the pay deal to Richie Bouchier
I took a straw pool of FF Supporters and non members and all said that he has failed to outline his policy on the Banks by this omission if he outlined his position clearly he would have won huge support from every quarter
A pity FF will suffer again at the next election

I have just started a thread on bankers' pay and I am very confused as to why Noonan didn't use his vote, but in essence both FF and FG are right of centre! But what is the thinking behind that even if they are right of centre???

Icelanders go to the polls on Saturday. The outcome of their second general election since the financial collapse of 2008 will be of interest to many.
Beyond the shores of the small island nation, few will have more interest than Fianna Fáil, whose near-identical twin party is set to return to power.
Ireland and Iceland have a great deal in common: geographically, historically, economically and politically. The two north Atlantic island states both gained independence in the 20th century after aeons in the shadow of larger powers. In the early years of this century, both experienced huge finance-fuelled bubbles before suffering two of the worst crashes in modern economic history. The two were then joined in the ignominy of International Monetary Fund bailout.
If their similar economic woes in recent times are well-known, their shared political conservatism is less widely understood. Comparing the two, Icelandic academic Thor Gylfason described Ireland and Iceland recently as “among the most inertia-driven and inward-looking western European societies”.

Political stasis
Nothing illustratesthis innate conservatism better than the extraordinary similarities between the centre-right Independence Party led by Bjarni Benediktsson and Fianna Fáil.
Until the crash, the IP had garnered more votes than any other party in every election for more than half a century. It was the only centre-right political party in Europe apart from FF to have enjoyed such a long period of dominance. It achieved this despite a reputation – familiar-sounding to Irish ears – for cosiness with business elites that sometimes crossed the line to plain cronyism.
But as long as the IP appeared to deliver prosperity, it remained the most popular party. Just as FF was returned to office in May 2007 before the crisis erupted, the IP won re-election just two weeks earlier.
But the collapse of the north Atlantic’s two bubble economies brought unprecedented political change. In the 2009 election, the party lost its decades-long top-spot position with voters and was ejected from power, the same fate FF suffered a year later.
Four years on, opinion polls show that if the IP doesn’t come out on top on Saturday, it will be second place. It is nearly certain to return to government and may well take back the prime minister’s office.
This might surprise readers given that most news from the island in recent times has pointed to a government successfully driving economic recovery. Beware the spin.
Over the past couple of years, Iceland’s first-ever left-of-centre government has been as successful as the current Irish administration in selling its story of recovery around the world. While the two countries have indeed made significant progress, if not always in the same ways, conditions on the ground are still grim, here and there.
While Iceland has managed to replace many of the jobs lost in the crash, household indebtedness is more crushing than in Ireland, rampant inflation is only now being brought under control and citizens are still strictly limited in the amount of foreign currency they can obtain.

Amateur hour
If the centre-right is about to sweep back to power, the centre-left incumbents have themselves to blame for much of their lost support. Martin Koehring, an Iceland expert at the Economist Intelligence Unit, says that infighting in the coalition parties and defections of parliamentarians have weakened its authority and given it the appearance of amateurishness.
But this has not been all good news for the IP. Distrust of the political class has led to fragmentation of the vote. New parties have proliferated and it is they, rather than the IP, who have taken support from the government parties.
Despite this, at least one in four voters is expected to back the IP on Saturday, enough to all but guarantee a return to government. If FF emulates its closest political cousin, it will be back in power by 2016.

If the old ruling party can sweep back to power in Iceland after melting their economy can FF be far behind---Come on Meehaul we need another Cork Taoiseach and yes FF never went away :D

Who the feck wrote that?

theres a massive difference between Iceland and Ireland... Iceland got some cop on and told all the mealy mouthed greedy corrupt politicians/bankers to sling there hook and jailed a good percentage of them [cases are still on going]

No comparison what so ever ... Ireland got shafted by FF/Greens and are still being shafted by Fg/Labour when they should have jailed the thieving corrupt individuals behind it.

This malarky 'We all partied' .. total bullcrap.. the issues this country face were about by a corrupt minority including politicians who facilitated there corruptions.

Where are they ? Laughing there tits off and being allowed to do it all over again by more puppets like Kenny and Gilmore..

Ireland should have done what Iceland did. ye sit would have been an extreme move but Iceland proved that it was the right thing to do. Look at them debt gone. Steady growth in the last 2/3 years and continuing. Corrupt bankers in jail and will never work in the industry again. Corrupt politicians in jail or never allowed to hold office again.

Look what Ireland does. Lowry back. Beverly C back [possibly] tax evaders still in public office. Convicted criminals elected...

And your exalting FF possibly being re-elecetd... ?

Right enough .. where do I book that flight to mars....? :rolleyes:

As I said in the other thread. ..........

Made a list. Ticked it off through the speech and in the summary.

Obvious targets. Obvious solutions. Almost all valid points.

One problem. He's leading FF. As toxic as ever and per the demonstrations outside not forgiven.

He won't get the chance.

Key point though that was spot on is this - FG and to a lesser extent Labour but especially FG believe it's their turn and it's driving their whole approach to governing.

Good post...fair took the wind out of my sail, but....I question if FG/Labour have the strident courage to change things before the country face another grim reality...I just don't see it, elected a government of compromise not resolution.

Who the feck wrote that?

theres a massive difference between Iceland and Ireland... Iceland got some cop on and told all the mealy mouthed greedy corrupt politicians/bankers to sling there hook and jailed a good percentage of them [cases are still on going]

No comparison what so ever ... Ireland got shafted by FF/Greens and are still being shafted by Fg/Labour when they should have jailed the thieving corrupt individuals behind it.

This malarky 'We all partied' .. total bullcrap.. the issues this country face were about by a corrupt minority including politicians who facilitated there corruptions.

Where are they ? Laughing there tits off and being allowed to do it all over again by more puppets like Kenny and Gilmore..

Ireland should have done what Iceland did. ye sit would have been an extreme move but Iceland proved that it was the right thing to do. Look at them debt gone. Steady growth in the last 2/3 years and continuing. Corrupt bankers in jail and will never work in the industry again. Corrupt politicians in jail or never allowed to hold office again.

Look what Ireland does. Lowry back. Beverly C back [possibly] tax evaders still in public office. Convicted criminals elected...

And your exalting FF possibly being re-elecetd... ?

Right enough .. where do I book that flight to mars....? :rolleyes:

I think you missed the point of the article: namely that the party in power during the crash in Iceland is probably going to be the next government.

In spite of everything.

We all partied .....

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

The Sweet East (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼