Gallagher/Squire

One star review from the Irish Times courtesy of Eamon Sweeney .

The eponymous debut album by this so-called super duo is a tough listen. It is sporadically entertaining as a piece of musical comedy – the bluster and swagger of it all are staggering. Squire squeezes out a succession of horrendously bloated riffs. Once upon a time his primary influences included The Byrds and psychedelia. Now he can sound like a pound-shop Jimi Hendrix or Jimmy Page. Gallagher spouts gibberish about chasing rainbows and wanting to get from Mars to Liverpool. One track is actually called Make It Up as You Go Along.

The whole thing plods on incessantly and somehow manages to make Ocean Colour Scene almost sound like Sunn O))). Gallagher has likened his brother’s solo output to Ronan Keating’s, but he’s not exactly pushing the envelope himself here.

The world has suffered enough. Noel Gallagher probably won’t discover a cure for cancer or broker peace in the Middle East, but one phone call might be able to save the world from another instalment of spectacularly bad music, especially considering the Roses horse has well and truly run. To quote Morrissey, another larger-than-life Mancunian, oh Manchester, so much to answer for.

If you're a fan of John Squire's guitar playing then this album is for you, it helps if you're also a Beatles fan, Eamonn Sweeney is being unduly harsh.

It's a shame that Squire's career post Stone Roses has been so patchy because he is a superb musician, same goes for Reni.

Was hoping this was a thread about a Rory Gallagher Fender (Squire) Stratocaster as the real one is too dear.
Lol, me too.

Having said that, it would only be for the sake of having it.

Chances are fairly low somebody's signature guitar suits you and secondly, "relic'd" guitars are stolen valour. You have to create that wear and tear yourself through hard work.

Mine don't have a scratch but at least I'm honest about it 😕

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Lyra
Live At The Marquee

16th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Danny Dineen

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 9:30pm

More events ▼