Frank Zappa

Ok - Hot Rats is a 6 track album
5 of which are instrumentels
and the one with singing "Willie The Pimp" has Captain Beefheart doing the vocals - don't let the idea of only 6 tracks and zappa not singing on this album put you off - it's so brilliant

Also try Apostrophe'
and
Over-Nite Sensation (if easily offened stay away from this one - or just skip the song Dinah-Moe Humm)

later

The Lotion said:
stinkfoot is on Apostrophe' (very funny song)

ya, there's another track that I like from that album... "we look pretty sharp in these clothes, unless we get sprayed with a hose"... ring a bell?

ya gotta admire the man's eccentricities... plus, a fuckin unbelievable musician...

paulie said:
plus, a fuckin unbelievable musician...

under rated guitar player by many because of the "funny lyrics" - so class - his solo on muffin man is unbelievable
and on willie the pimp
and on....etc..etc...
too many to mention

btw - Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow
great googly moogly

uncle remus?

The Lotion said:
Ok - Hot Rats is a 6 track album
5 of which are instrumentels
and the one with singing "Willie The Pimp" has Captain Beefheart doing the vocals - don't let the idea of only 6 tracks and zappa not singing on this album put you off - it's so brilliant

Also try Apostrophe'
and
Over-Nite Sensation (if easily offened stay away from this one - or just skip the song Dinah-Moe Humm)

later

Bought Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart not so long ago. Just couldn't get into it. Think it was produced by Zappa. Sounds like tuneless Tom Waits to me. I love that song "her eyes are a blue million miles" but that album is beyond me. Hot rats is a fantastic album alright.

Dances With Pigeons said:
Bought Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart not so long ago. Just couldn't get into it. Think it was produced by Zappa. Sounds like tuneless Tom Waits to me. I love that song "her eyes are a blue million miles" but that album is beyond me. Hot rats is a fantastic album alright.

I love Trout mask replica (yeah it was produced by Zappa) - but i do admit it's very very hard to get into
try the cd with 2 albums on it The Spotlight Kid & Clear Spot - great value, great music (it sounds normal compared to TMR) and has her eyes.. is on it as well
Also check out the Beefhearts album safe as milk - for the fantastic song that is "Sure 'nuff 'n Yes I Do"

great video here of beefheart
http://www.btinternet.com/~graham.johnston2/Booglarize.rm

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼