Film Question, Elephant?

Has anyone seen that film 'Elephant' ?

I came across it there searching the song 'pumped up kicks' on YouTube.

It's about the columbine school shooting or some other incident like it.

It seems like a very harrowing subject for a film and I'm not sure if I could stomach it or not so I thought Ild ask if anyone here has seen it.

It's on you tube but the quality doesn't seem that good.

It's directed by Gus Van Zant who made 'Good Will Hunting' and 'My own Private Idaho'

It is a weird name alright .i don't know why somone would want to make such a film. I wonder is there a point behind it that the film maker is trying to make or is it just one those 'it is what it is' type of films?

Maybe its just me but sometimes films are made to manipulate the minds, thoughts of people. If an American film portrays the American military favourably. Then the director of the film can expect much military assistance. Perhaps the use of an aircraft carrier, a squadron of Blackhawks and even a whole battalion of soldiers. I'm reminded of the submarine film starring Harrison Ford. Made after the tragedy of the Kursk sinking. It seemed to suggest to me "ok, we sunk your submarine so we'll make a movie depicting the Russian sailors as hero's". That kind of thing. Some films are straight forward entertainment. Others contain a message, some sponsored by the Government. Also, look at what the film Braveheart done for Scotland. Or what the film Michael Collins done for Ireland.
There is a true story from the Iraq war where reporters were captured by insurgents and released having shown their captives their Irish passports. The captors had apparently seen the film Michael Collins.

The 'Elephant' is the symbol of the Republican Party in the USA. (Lack of) gun control is the elephant in the room. Hence the double (/triple?) Meaning of the film title.

The film title was apparently borrowed from Alan Clarke's 1989 BBC film about violence in Northern Ireland, it refers to something huge that we all see and we all choose to ignore.

Good flick, very hard to watch.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Souldriven

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼