• the magnificent seven

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • a.n. other (post your own fave)

Votes: 22 26.2%

• Total voters
TAYTO! TAYTO! OSSIE! OSSIE!
into_the_west_1992_2.png

***SPOILER ALERT***THE SEARCHERS****

Am I alone in thinking John Wayne's character in the searchers is a racist scumbag whose carry-on is made only more despicable by his insider knowledge of the Comache (i.e. it's not racism bred of unfamiliarity). And, although he doesn't murder yer one at the end, there's no real change of heart, he remains the same drawling myopic cunt when the credits roll.

... yeah I know ... I know, don't overanalyse, Corca bah, Jeebus just a feckin film, only fiction like' - but propaganda generally is (fiction, simplification), Wayne's swaggering braggaddocio (dodged the WWII draft if I'm not mistaken) and influence throughout his career as an all-american role model was such that Stalin planned to have him assasinated! That's not an endorsement of 'uncle joe' it's to show that the influence of Wayne's portrayals of the prototypical shoot-first-ask-questions- later (the only good ___ is a dead___)all-american 'rough justice' gunslinger isn't really in doubt. Are his roles worthy of adulation? Is his character worthy of emulation?

His hatred came from the fact that the woman he loved [ his brothers wife ] was murdered , this is what the film is really all about.

Dead Man with Johnny Depp.
Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid, just for the Dylan soundtrack.

edit Duck you sucker is also good but James Coburn doesn't quite nail the Irish accent.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Sabrina Dinan
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

26th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Sweet East (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼