Far-Right Protests in Fermoy

I fear that anger associated with Ukrainians relating to housing, heating costs etc are going to fuel a rise in far right sentiment among people in Ireland. Social media comments on news stories etc recently have started to turn against Ukrainians, many of the comments from people who may have been sympathetic towards them at the beginning.

Obviously this plays into Putin's hands. Turn people against Ukrainian refugees due to costs and capacity constraints.

Lidl announced a range of sauces in aid of Ukraine during the week, and the comments on their Facebook post were extremely nasty.

From what I understand the charity shop in Merchant's Quay served as a hub for Ukrainians to meet other fellow Ukrainians, get information on services/community activities etc in the city. And as a charity shop they offered some free items to these people who may have arrived here without much possessions. He didn't like that Ukrainians fleeing war were able to catch a break if it meant Irish people couldn't avail of the same breaks in this particular shop. You can argue that on a technicality he was correct but I'm sure most fair minded people saw that his antics that resulted in the shop closing was fairly shitty and didn't serve anyone well at the end of the day.
As kimmeartimmy pointed out I believe he's an agitatior who is using this particular crisis to further his agenda of them and us. That's not a ideology I subscribe to so I'm afraid it's a No from me, Simon.

Yeah sur let's take in an unlimited amount of foreigners. What's the worst that could happen? Typical save the world leftoids again with their delusions.

The government's approach to this crisis has been poor. You simply cannot have an open ended policy of accepting refugees, there has to be a limit. All that aside it doesn't excuse shitehousery from people towards those who have already arrived. The planning, or lack thereof, plays right into the hands of a cohort who are only delighted to dress up their xenophobia as something less shitty. On the face of it I fully acknowledge that it's legitimate to air concerns about how services are being stretched. However I think it's naive to give credibility to some of the people who are airing these concerns. The man in question being one of them. The guy who was described earlier as being a journalist is another. Incidentally he was kicked out of the National Party for a horrible act. Let's hope these people who are a tiny minority of the electorate don't double their vote to less than 1% in the coming General Election.

From what I understand the charity shop in Merchant's Quay served as a hub for Ukrainians to meet other fellow Ukrainians, get information on services/community activities etc in the city. And as a charity shop they offered some free items to these people who may have arrived here without much possessions. He didn't like that Ukrainians fleeing war were able to catch a break if it meant Irish people couldn't avail of the same breaks in this particular shop. You can argue that on a technicality he was correct but I'm sure most fair minded people saw that his antics that resulted in the shop closing was fairly shitty and didn't serve anyone well at the end of the day.
As kimmeartimmy pointed out I believe he's an agitatior who is using this particular crisis to further his agenda of them and us. That's not a ideology I subscribe to so I'm afraid it's a No from me, Simon.
I despise those who use the Ukranian refugee crisis to further their right wing political agenda and whip up hysteria. And as one who does not have a morgage and need not rent I also decry the Governments abject failure on housing.The present crisis is facilitating the largest transfer of wealth in the history of this state from those who will never own a propery to the already wealthy. When this country could not afford the seat in its trousers we could still build a massive amount of both public and affordable housing. Now relatively wealthy we are intent on pauperising a geneation into their old age with our fucked up housing policy. This is an open goal for Sinn Fein if they are willing to take on the vested interests who will throw the usual obstacles in the way

Last edited:
You don’t have to be “all in” with him but some points he makes are fair. I’ll never understand why people feel like they must be completely for/against someone like him. I’d agree with you regarding the hub for Ukranians in Merchants Quay. I’d agree with his comments about the Modular homes in Kildare. Btw, what’s your opinion on that situation in Kildare?

You don’t have to be “all in” with him but some points he makes are fair. I’ll never understand why people feel like they must be completely for/against someone like him. I’d agree with you regarding the hub for Ukranians in Merchants Quay. I’d agree with his comments about the Modular homes in Kildare. Btw, what’s your opinion on that situation in Kildare?
This is the PROC nobody gives a fuck about Kildare.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Teachers Lounge (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼