Facebook Pics vs The Law

So, we've all read these stories about naughty people getting caught by their other halves on Facebook...but how about people doing bits and bobs that are outside of the law?

Friend of mine has been tagged in a folder of pics, and so I had a look through...and there's plenty of them all up to a variety of illegal drug taking, with their names tagged for all to see. Pics are in the folder of someone I'm not friends with, but can see via the tags that have been put on my friend. Even the pics that she's not in.

I just wondered if people ought to be a bit more careful and not put these kinds of pics online...is it only a matter of time ya think?!

So, we've all read these stories about naughty people getting caught by their other halves on Facebook...but how about people doing bits and bobs that are outside of the law?

Friend of mine has been tagged in a folder of pics, and so I had a look through...and there's plenty of them all up to a variety of illegal drug taking, with their names tagged for all to see. Pics are in the folder of someone I'm not friends with, but can see via the tags that have been put on my friend. Even the pics that she's not in.

I just wondered if people ought to be a bit more careful and not put these kinds of pics online...is it only a matter of time ya think?!

Well, the person can always remove the tags of themselves so if they dont' want themselves tagged then there's no harm done.

Well, the person can always remove the tags of themselves so if they dont' want themselves tagged then there's no harm done.

Yup, and if they're stupid enough not to do that... what I'm asking is are the old bill likely to be onto this sort of thing?

Perhaps I shall ask my copper mate and see what he reckons...

I have read stories about peoples facebook photo's and their profiles being used by Police to track down a suspect. I don't know whether it's legally viable for them to prosecute based on any digital facebook photos because digital photo's can be altered, thus it might not stand up in court.

On the other hand, an eviction notice was served to a couple in Australia through Facebook a few month ago. Under Australian law, the couple have to be notified of an eviction, however the lawyer could not get in contact with the couple and had to go to court where the judge ruled the lawyer and its clients had made reasonable effort to notify the couple of their eviction and gave the lawyer permission to serve the legal documents by messaging them on Facebook.

I've been on facebook for nearly 5 years now but it has only been in the last year or two since my friends from home have started getting on there that I've noticed the same thing. Loads of photos of people doing shit that they could get in ALL SORTS of trouble for. The "stupid" Americans I know would never be dumb enough to put photos up of them smoking joints, damaging property etc. How retarded can someone be!?!

Btw, there have definitely ben people fired for things like that and I have read quite a few storys of people arrested after videos were posted on youtube of them doing something illegal. i'm sure it has happened with facebook too.

-AmadeusDC-

Lol i have loads of pictures of me smoking joints... how are they gonna prove that what you're smoking is illegal?
No digital photos will hold up in court as they can be altered very easily

A pic of a big purple bong and a pile of the funny stuff next to it is a bit of a giveaway. How many coppers will take a puff "just to be sure"?!

Actually...probably quite a few...if they knew they wouldn't get caught!

Lol i have loads of pictures of me smoking joints... how are they gonna prove that what you're smoking is illegal?
No digital photos will hold up in court as they can be altered very easily

But..
They can add your name to the "people to search every time" list. Eventually they'll hit gold.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jimmy Lee

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 9:30pm

More events ▼