Extra time off from work

Just as a matter of interest, how does your job fair out regards asking for hours off or extra days off for personal events etc. Apart from perhaps your wedding or a funeral, do you feel it is a general obligation for your employer to grant time off? Would you expect to be docked for say example taking time off for your stag/hen party? Days off because you and your other half are going out for your first year anniversary ...things like that.
What constitutes valid reasons for asking for time off in your opinion?

Days off for an anniversary?
Ehhhhh no.....................

Edit - my post was on the assumption that the OP was talking about time additional to annual leave at the discretion of the employer.

Just as a matter of interest, how does your job fair out regards asking for hours off or extra days off for personal events etc. Apart from perhaps your wedding or a funeral, do you feel it is a general obligation for your employer to grant time off? Would you expect to be docked for say example taking time off for your stag/hen party? Days off because you and your other half are going out for your first year anniversary ...things like that.
What constitutes valid reasons for asking for time off in your opinion?

Welcome back. There's some incestuous relationship available for you here at the moment. Easily identified by an inimitable posting style. Smirk.
Re time off, they're required to give you your annual leave. It's up to you to do what you want with it. There are the obvious caveats regarding how busy they are, but if you book early enough, it's your time.

I have a set amount of annual leave days that I can use, don't have to give a reason.

Exactly, why would anyone have to give reasons for taking there time off? Its theirs to take and any decent company would encourage that all staff take all of their time off, its good to take a break like

Okay ...but I am talking about asking for extra days as well as annual leave....

I ask because there seems to be a sense of entitlement these days ( in my experience) that employers should accommodate these days off , which I personally feel is bordering on the ridiculous.
Saw an ad the other day advertising a job vacancy and saying that employees get a paid day off for their Birthday.....😨

Days off for an anniversary?
Ehhhhh no.....................

Edit - my post was on the assumption that the OP was talking about time additional to annual leave at the discretion of the employer.

Yes....that's what I mean...EXTRA time off. ( the only poster who seems to read / comprehend threads correctly 😏

depends where you work - we would give the people that put in the work additional time off no bother because they are worth being flexible with, you get it back ten fold - it wont be written in any contract though

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Dirty Circus
The Pav, Careys Lane

4th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼