Etymology, the Study of Words and their Origins

"Langer" derived from Irish servicemen serving in India around the turn of of the last century, a derivative of "Langur" a cheeky monkey that like to steal things.

'galore' is from the Irish go leor.

I also heard the word 'dig' as understand, dtuigeann tú, but it's origins are smoky dive jazz bars, so it's murky.

'quiz' was invented after a guy in a pub in Dublin made a bet that he could introduce a new word to the English language. He paid street urchins to write the word on walls until it took off. He initially meant it to mean a mystery.

'okay' comes from a Native American language.

Possibly my favourite pursuit and subject for conversation (I'm fun at parties). My decision to post about it was inspired by a podcast in which the term 'gaslighting' was used frequently. I know its origin, but perhaps you don't. It's a reference to two films, Gas Light (1938) and its American remake (1944) in which a man tries to convince his wife that she cannot trust her own memory by isolating her and staging scenarios in which she is forced to doubt herself.

So now you know if you didn't already. :)

Do you have any words with interesting origins you might like to share? Please do!

First film was from 1940, the original play was 1938.

Possibly my favourite pursuit and subject for conversation (I'm fun at parties). My decision to post about it was inspired by a podcast in which the term 'gaslighting' was used frequently. I know its origin, but perhaps you don't. It's a reference to two films, Gas Light (1938) and its American remake (1944) in which a man tries to convince his wife that she cannot trust her own memory by isolating her and staging scenarios in which she is forced to doubt herself.

So now you know if you didn't already. :)

Do you have any words with interesting origins you might like to share? Please do!
Yeah, cool story, bro.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Sweet East (NC)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼