Essential hip hop from the noughties

Used to listen to a lot of hip hop back in the day, pretty much exclusively from the 80s and 90s though (Tribe, De La, Pete Rock, Grandmaster, Wu Tang, Beasties etc...)

After quite a long hiatus, I'm keen to catch up. Would really appreciate recommendations on newer stuff, 2000 and on. I hear there's been quite a lot of good shit. Where do I begin??

Suggestions on any left-field older stuff also welcome...

Chairs!

Recommendations:

Talib Kweli
Common
Lupe Fiasco
Kid Cudi
Jay-Z
Slum Village

Some of my favourites this decade...can't beat some of the oldies though

Nice one. Familiar with the Roots, have the Phrenology album.

Recommend a Kudi album? I hear his new one is chock full of collabs (MGMT etc)

Best Common, Talib and Slum Village albums????

Nice one. Familiar with the Roots, have the Phrenology album.

Recommend a Kudi album? I hear his new one is chock full of collabs (MGMT etc)

Best Common, Talib and Slum Village albums????

My mp3 player is a clusterfuck at the moment and my titles are all over the place but I'll be sorting that soon. Here goes anyway...

Cudi only has 2 albums, I acutally haven't had time to download his new release yet but I have "A kid named cudi" Its his mixtape and its unreal. I wasn't too keen on him because of Day'n'nite but when I heard him support kanye I fell in love with his stuff.

Common:

Electric Circus and Finding Forever...you'll either love them or hate them, there seems to be no middle ground with the critics... and Universal Mind Control is good, but didn't really wow me for some reason. Again, some people have a totally different view on that...

Slum village - Trinity (Past, Present and Future), was a bit different due to the change in lineup but I prefered this to detroit deli.

Talib - Eardrum This album was my first time really listening to kweli, and i still have to download more of his stuff. Favourite songs on this would have to be:

"Hot thing"
"Oh my stars" with musiq soulchild
"Listen" because it was in the freedom writers soundtrack...

Hope that helps :)

Jurassic 5, But stick to the EP, Quality Control and Power in Numbers. Ignore the 4th album and anything to do with nelly furtado.

Ah the first one reminded me of my history of hip hop compilation :D I had actually forgotten about that.

And personally I really really like thin line with nelly furtado...

However, some people prefer it with mya

*more Kweli stuff, both genius:
Reflection Eternal [with Hi-Tek]
Black Star [with Mos Def]

*Soundbombing comp on Rawkus still great.

*Jay Dee / J Dilla / ...
*Company Flow.
*Def Jux stuff: especially Cannibal Ox - Blue Vein, Aesop Rock, Cool Calm Pete.
*Early Anticon.
*Saul Williams.
*J-Live.
*Any Project Blowed stuff: Busdriver / Aceyalone / Abstract Rude [& Tribe Unique]
*Mf Doom / King Geedorah
*Madlib
*Madvillian
*Jaylib

*Instrumental:
Flying Lotus
Nosaj Thing

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
Charlie's, Union Quay

16th Jun 2024 @ 3:30 pm
More info..