Derry.

Not sure on eating out apart from the mandarin palace which everyone up home raves about. You should walk the walls and check out some of the murals. Visit the folyeside shopping centre, or drive into donegal malin head would be about an hour from derry

If its anything like Belfast twil be difficult to get a drink after 11pm, could not belleve it, complete lockdown on a Saturday night at 11pm. Apparently there are places, but you need to know where to go, so check it out in advance,

Oh yeah 11 or so is closing time. Loads of police will probably be around too. They will be armed too. Some people get a fright when they see them. We got used to it growing up.

Yeah have experienced that in Belfast before. It is a pain if your not expecting it. Tbh will probably not be out late anyway if we are out and about all day.

Oh yeah 11 or so is closing time. Loads of police will probably be around too. They will be armed too. Some people get a fright when they see them. We got used to it growing up.

I'm fine with the security side, it's just really different when it is difficult to get a drink in a pub at 11:01 pm in a major city like Belfast on a weekend night(not a night club). It took us a good while to find a place open, we did eventually did find a pub. It's kind of eerie when you see most of the city centre all shut down so early, street after street with nothing at all open, or no lights on in most cases.
The other odd thing was later on at around 1.30am, the only eating option was a small caravan selling burgers, there was no where to go and sit down. We asked loads of people and we were told this was the only late night eating option !

*bump*

Any other tips for Derry/Eastern Donegal, folks? Stuff to do during the day specifically (will have the small boy with us).

Make sure you have lunch at Fitzroys in Bridge Street, just beside Ferryquay Gate. They do 30% off for lunch and the food was superb when I ate there a few months ago. But get there before Noon as it gets very busy and there's usually a queue out the door.

The hidden gem in Derry is the Protestant Cathedral inside the Walls. They have stuff on display from the Siege and as far as I know it's free.

The newest attraction in Derry is the Museum of Free Derry. I haven't been but I'm told it's very good although not suitable for smallies.

Whatever you do, take an umbrella.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼