De Event Centre

I must admit I'd love to know how it got selected ahead of Owen O'Callaghan's bid. Location wise the OO'C bid was perfect, this place has zero connectivity.
Ironically, I believe a factor was that Govt didn't want to be seen favouring bid of major, high profile
builder/developer at a time when they were still seen as part of the bad guys in the 2007-2008 economy collapse.

What if they built an adjunct to Páirc Uí Chaoimh?
Or even look at getting a price for a roof? Kind of like the Astrodome or something. I’m sure it would make PUC more viable and would also centralise events ,be they sporting, musical, or exhibitions/conferences on one site.

Probably cost too much

What if they built an adjunct to Páirc Uí Chaoimh?
Or even look at getting a price for a roof? Kind of like the Astrodome or something. I’m sure it would make PUC more viable and would also centralise events ,be they sporting, musical, or exhibitions/conferences on one site.

Probably cost too much
City centre more attractive for conferences, hotel beds etc

City centre more attractive for conferences, hotel beds etc
The old Debenhams would be the best then. The City Council will probably have some rules about what can go in there though. They closed down Starbucks because they didn’t allow takeaway coffee sales and it was replaced with a Centra selling takeaway coffee. Just like the Spar convenience store at the other end of the street. Apparently Patrick Street is designated for “high end retail.”

Unless you know somebody, which probably explains why the planned location for the Event Centre is in South Main Street.

Why the fawk would anybody want to drive to Limerick. It's shit, and only used by a shower of bandwagon jumping Munstershire muppets?
'zackly

priority should be given to the northern ring road around the city rather than a road to a dump like limerick where no self-respecting Corkman would ever want to go

My understanding is it started with BAM being BAM, lowballing etc, and turned uuinto a quagmire of shit after that with procurement, funding etc etc.

So this went up for tender , BAM won the contract and then said they couldnt deliver within the figure they won the tender with ?

Is that it ?

The Debenhams idea sounds good, In fact it seems like a perfect idea.

Would you get licensed for it ?

What would be the expected capacity?

About 7-8 thousand?

So this went up for tender , BAM won the contract and then said they couldnt deliver within the figure they won the tender with ?

Is that it ?

The Debenhams idea sounds good, In fact it seems like a perfect idea.

Would you get licensed for it ?

What would be the expected capacity?

About 7-8 thousand?

I'd be lovely, but I doubt it would work. Hard to imagine anything like 7-8 thousand could fit in there. Not even half that I'd say.

You'd also need a massive high ceiling for lighting rigs for a start and you'd have to have a big buffer area out front (for bar, tuck shop, ticket checks, searches etc) so the auditorium wouldn't start until at least where the old escalators would be.

I could understand why traders on the street would want it to be retail long term too. If it's closed until show time every day it's a waste of space from a retail point of view.

BTW, weren't the tenders judged by an independent body rather than the gubbermint who were trying to avoid looking like they were doing a O'Callaghan a favour?

I'd be lovely, but I doubt it would work. Hard to imagine anything like 7-8 thousand could fit in there. Not even half that I'd say.

You'd also need a massive high ceiling for lighting rigs for a start and you'd have to have a big buffer area out front (for bar, tuck shop, ticket checks, searches etc) so the auditorium wouldn't start until at least where the old escalators would be.

I could understand why traders on the street would want it to be retail long term too. If it's closed until show time every day it's a waste of space from a retail point of view.

BTW, weren't the tenders judged by an independent body rather than the gubbermint who were trying to avoid looking like they were doing a O'Callaghan a favour?
There’s a massive atrium in Roches which would lend itself to mounting lighting gear. The front of the building could be for retail. Merchants Quay could be the entrance and Maylor Street. If properly designed with a mezzanine it would easily fit 6,000 people.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

UCC Music Recitals

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼