Cyclists

I am car mad, probably overly so, but I also have a number of bikes including a racing bike, gravel bike and mountain bikes and love going out for spins on the bikes.

Honestly I think the Bus Connects program, in its current form, will destroy the city. Tearing the local community environments apart and introducing gridlock on other routes.

A simpler solution would be to
introduce a congestion charge solution. Simpler and faster to mobilise and it truly targets the challenge. Hand back the existing roads to the lowest polluters.

I think it's unworkable in its current form tbh.

Your post is based on the assumption that bus corridors won't lessen car usage, surely the plan is to get more people using public transport and to have less single occupant cars clogging up the city.

We need to give people viable sf alternatives to driving in cars as a means of moving around the city and in particular in bringing children to and from school, will bus connects deliver that? That is the pertinent question here.

No.

What point was being made? You claimed that cyclists don't post videos of other cyclists breaking the rules. What is there to debate, you were caught bullshitting again?

Jeebus, congratulations on being such a pedant in your ongoing fixation with me.

I don't even remember what you're referring to but I think it would have been obvious to most reading my posts that I'd have meant generally cyclists don't post videos of other cyclists breaking the rules. Of course there are some cyclists posting up videos of cyclists breaking rules; some motorists posting videos of motorists breaking the rules, and indeed I'm sure there'll even be some pedestrians posting up videos of pedestrians breaking the rules. But generally it tends not to work like that.

Most people would have grasped that concept but I see your fixation with me is such that you've stored up your potential for pedantry like some weird hoarder. Well done you. :rolleyes:

And much of that 600M is being used to purchase busses next year BEFORE the proposed roadway changes are approved. Would seem very foolish if, as has been suggested, some of these busses won't be able to operate on certain routes without the necessary roadway changes being in place first.

I get that a viable, which means it must be dependable and timely, public transport system is good for the city and for the planet, but this headlong rush into trying to make private car drivers somehow social pariahs is madness imho. Yes there should be safe cycle lanes - but making them 1.8M wide in both directions without even an imposition that cyclists must stick rigidly to cycle lanes would seem an utter nonsense. And is there really a need for footpaths to be 3M wide on both sides as well??? The whole plan seems ill thought out tbh.

And much of that 600M is being used to purchase busses next year BEFORE the proposed roadway changes are approved. Would seem very foolish if, as has been suggested, some of these busses won't be able to operate on certain routes without the necessary roadway changes being in place first.

I get that a viable, which means it must be dependable and timely, public transport system is good for the city and for the planet, but this headlong rush into trying to make private car drivers somehow social pariahs is madness imho. Yes there should be safe cycle lanes - but making them 1.8M wide in both directions without even an imposition that cyclists must stick rigidly to cycle lanes would seem an utter nonsense. And is there really a need for footpaths to be 3M wide on both sides as well??? The whole plan seems ill thought out tbh.

What they are suggesting for the main street of Ballincollig is crazy. Its no surprise it is meeting with fierce opposition.

Then you have a self appointed cycling group 'chair' ridiculing and belittling local businesses that are horrified by the councils plan.

This whole mess should be binned before it completely kills businesses all over Cork.

What they are suggesting for the main street of Ballincollig is crazy. Its no surprise it is meeting with fierce opposition.

Then you have a self appointed cycling group 'chair' ridiculing and belittling local businesses that are horrified by the councils plan.

This whole mess should be binned before it completely kills businesses all over Cork.

I think there's more wrong with it than just the business stifling aspects too. While chopping down trees, CPOing peoples' gardens, and making residents drive miles further on one-way systems clearly isn't environmentally friendly, and mightn't cost someone cycling in from Carrigaline a thought, it will lead to much resentment amongst urban dwellers living on or near those routes. And this is all without the inevitable disruptions, noise, and dirt of constructions on the various roadways.

And while the occasional cycle can be cathartic, telling someone that they must cycle in the rain or wait at a bus stop as full bus after full bus passes by won't be popular or appreciated. I'm told this TFI plan was conceived by planners in Dublin where they live in a relatively flat city where there's less rain. Giving cyclist primacy over cars in Cork's hilly and relatively wet city doesn't make as much sense as it might in dublin imho.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Earlier Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

18th May 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

95b (NC) [Phantoscope]

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 5:15pm

More events ▼