Cork Minor Football 2024

All duhallow clubs are playing division 2 bar the Cullen / Millstreet amalgamation players who are in prem 2. simply the rest not up to the standard and the kilshannig man you speak of is a soccer player with ireland he’s made his choice
😂 That’s not a valid point. There are fellas selected from from junior 1 clubs too playing Div 2 & 3 underage.
The club you play for should not be a determining factor at all and it’s good to see minor football players selected from a couple small clubs for probably the first time.
Also your point that the others are simply not up to standard is rubbish. I’m heavily involved in underage GAA and the rebel model by its very design and structure is an impediment the having all of the best involved. Over the years I’ve seen many of the best boys just not being able to get to rebel og trainings all across the county or Matchs up the country on days when they are off school through no fault of their own. Some of the best talent never goes to rebel og. That did not happen in the old model, but that model wasnt perfect either but definitely better than rebel Og, as the results clearly show

One thing that is agreed, Rebel og is not working, players should be left to develop and play with their clubs and school until 16, squads should then be picked from regions then. Players would not then not suffer disappointment of being dropped off squads at such a young age. Every player from every club would be given a fair chance. I still say and I know, some of the must natural footballers are not in minor football squad. There is too much politics up to minor, it tends to even out at 20s, that is why only a small % play at senior intercounty.

One thing that is agreed, Rebel og is not working, players should be left to develop and play with their clubs and school until 16, squads should then be picked from regions then. Players would not then not suffer disappointment of being dropped off squads at such a young age. Every player from every club would be given a fair chance. I still say and I know, some of the must natural footballers are not in minor football squad. There is too much politics up to minor, it tends to even out at 20s, that is why only a small % play at senior intercounty.
I totally agree with everything you say there.
As an example of the carry on there is the infamous internal trial match held for this minor group last year. A very promising forward from a smaller club invited- brought on.. they double marked him and they took him off 10 mins later 😂
That’s the type of bullshit and politics that goes on for ya.

Selecting a panel is never easy and I’ve no doubt the mentors involved did what they think is the best. Doctors differ and patients die comes to mind. It is very strange to see such little representation from the north side, Duhallow and Avondhu. No Duhallow selector might be a reason. No footballer in the 36 from the north side has to be another red flag for the guys running cork football. Plenty lads from the Clonakilty region! I’ll be down the pairc tomorrow night and I’m looking forward to the laugh when my buddy will give the who’s who matrix for this panel. I heard last summer that this panel is potentially weakest round the midfield area in particular. However I won’t be surprised if Cork minors do well as they have tended to do over the last 6/7 years. However, The rebel og model has been clearly shown in the last decade to be a failure in producing enough elite ballers for senior level. With the new GDAs, there appears to be a shift towards more regional and school based coaching and that can’t happen soon enough in my book.
I am told that the only footballer in the panel from Duhallow is also a converted West Cork man!!! West cork mafia run this age group

Any idea of a team/panel? My guess at a team and subs is as follows:

James O'Flaherty
Padraig Tobin Cian Cooney Joe Mouret
Cian OConnor Niall O'Shea Dylan Harrington
Jack Trench Harry Cogan
Danny Miskella Scott Barrett Danny O'Donovan
Daire O'Sullivan Dylan O'Neil Sean Whelton

Subs: Den Joe O'Riordan, Jamrs O'Driscoll, Daniel Burke, Billy Ryan, Oisin Harrington, Ryan Crowley Euan Lehane, Ben O'Shea, Daniel Holland, Humphrey Canty, Finn O'Dwyer, Padraig McGrath.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Pretty Limited

Fred Zeppelins, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼