Cork Minor football 2023

We get absolutely ridden be refs across the board. We dodged a red card against offaly in u20 and the whole country is talking about it.
For every decision/match that goes our way, at hands of referee, there are 20 that go against us.
Is it a legacy from when we were hated in the 80s and 90s or what? Do referees of a certain vintage carry a chip on their shoulder over Cork?
It's fckin disgraceful at this stage. Our players don't deserve it.

Im sorry lads but its not the ref. We have seen this with Cork football teams since 1957 (against Louth). We constantly lose our way in games for long periods when we should have won. Typical examples
V Dub 83, V meath 88 v kerry 2009, v Tipp 2020, v clare last month and some close calls including v louth.
Ive only seen two game in my life where we actually performed.... V kerry 89 and v meath 1990

What is it about our psychy that causes this? Dammed if i know

Lads will ye stop please its embarrassing . We are not putting proper coaching and mgmt in place at these levels. That is issue. That game was done and we have fellas on the line who are not up to it.

Lads will ye stop please its embarrassing . We are not putting proper coaching and mgmt in place at these levels. That is issue. That game was done and we have fellas on the line who are not up to it.
Well said my man. We’re failing because we’re picking the wrong players and our coaching structures are a shambles thanks to Conor Clown-ihan, feck all to do with refs.

I've taken this post below from the Dublin GAA discussion thread on boards.ie to show that it's not just Cork people who think that Cork were hard done by the ref today:

''Some turn around alright, can easily happen in underage games but Cork must be sick

Edit: just saw the incident towards the end where Cork should have had a free in 20m from goal but ref gave a free out and Dublin went up to get the levelling point (edit). You'd be livid if you were from Cork''

and this from another poster

'Yeah right in front of the ref not sure how a free in wasn't given to Cork. Not sure where all the added time came from? heart went out to the Cork number 2 Niall O'Shea a costly mistake that cost his county a semi final place"

and this from another

''Some Cork posters are unhappy with a couple of decisions near the end. They have a valid point on one definately''

Last edited:
I've taken this post below from the Dublin GAA discussion thread on boards.ie to show that it's not just Cork people who think that Cork were hard down by the ref today:

''Some turn around alright, can easily happen in underage games but Cork must be sick

Edit: just saw the incident towards the end where Cork should have had a free in 20m from goal but ref gave a free out and Dublin went up to get the levelling point (edit). You'd be livid if you were from Cork''

and this from another poster

'Yeah right in front of the ref not sure how a free in wasn't given to Cork. Not sure where all the added time came from? heart went out to the Cork number 2 Niall O'Shea a costly mistake that cost his county a semi final place"
Its should never been left get that far. These are great bunch of lads but they are 16, shit happens
3 PROBLEMS
1. Our attitude of our well paid CEO to Underage Football.
2. CCB picking untried, untested, unqualified Coaching tickets to coach and manage our young footballers
3. Which leads to the absolute chronic failure to develop these fantastic young footballera into our Senior team

Our "wonderful" CEO was on recently about how Gaelic Football is now unwatchable. How about he fixes his own fucking backyard . But listen lads it will all get lost with our Hurlers doing well and fellas get lost in the Convo with moron refs

There were definitely valid questions about the coaching at U20 level this year but I thought the minors looked exceptionally well coached. They won the majority of their kickouts despite being the smaller team, which is a rare occurrence at any level for a Cork intercounty football team in the last 15 years. They also moved the ball quickly, scored great points from distance, created multiple goal scoring opportunities and defended well. You could make the argument that we started losing the game when the play got more individualistic in the second half or that they fatigued.

Overall, this is probably the strongest and most talented minor team we’ve had since Corbett’s lot 4 years ago. The one area they’ve struggled compared to the Corbett team was the level of impact off the bench. You’d hope Coakley, Sheedy, Clifford and Culliahane, and most of the back line will feature for the 20s next year. I’d like to see that coaching team move onto the 20s at some stage as well as I’m not sure I’ve seen a Cork team look better prepared at kick-out time. I know they were unlucky with that crucial last kick-out but it’s better they learn from that now at this level than go for long 50-50 kicks any time the pressure comes on and develop that bad habit now.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Award Winning Steve Hughes (Australia)
City Limits, Coburg St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Teachers Lounge (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼