Cork Minor football 2023

That was a total disaster!

That foul that wasn't blown by the ref on O' Mullane in the 67th minute was critical. Dubs went down then and won a free that was extremely soft. Looked like the ref was playing for the draw at that stage. Then that last goal afterwards was a hammer blow. I have to question where he got 8 or 9 minutes of additional time.

But the way the 2nd half was panning out, we were at sea and the Dubs finished the stronger team. We struggled fitness wise at the end. Our use of the ball going forward in the 2nd half let us down time and time again. They are only young lads so I won't be putting the blame on them but management should have been shouting into them to retain possession and keep it simple.

I had my hope that this Cork team would make an All Ireland but unfortunately not to be.

The number 13 was blown out halfway through the half and wasn't able to run and was left there. 2 great balls were played in to him and he had no legs to get there....all they needed was a nippy guy to go in just to chase everything and carry if in possession...nothing done.

Don't worry these coaching ticket will be promoted to the u20 or stay in situ. Why can't our highly paid CEO put together proper mgmt teams at minor and u20 like he does with the Hurling . Young fellas breaking their balls out on the field.

Had great chance to score there at the end and if not kick it dead but no we’ll turn it over
What a disappointment for those boys
Management shoulda been able to settle them down and make some changes

Amazing how our highly paid CEO cannot put together proper mgmt teams at minor and u20 like he does with the Hurling . Young fellas breaking their balls, out on their feet and a young Goalkeeper left to pick a pass in injury time again after again. But listen we will have the merry go around again .

I feel very bad for the Cork young lads there and I happen to know a couple of their families, so it's gutting having to experience that. I
'm firm in my conviction that under 17 is too young for inter county play. Nothing I'm seeing this year is convincing me otherwise. The GAA have got that one horribly wrong and for whatever reason are not admitting the mistake and going back to under 18. Look at the error strewn nature of second half there and the scattered play. They need that extra year to develop physically, mentally and other ways.

All that being said, Cork lost composure almost totally in last quarter and Dublin did have a few strong impact subs on top of that.
The non-free given for no.13 being dragged down by the neck near the end was an unfathomably putrid decision. And the referee made some other highly dubious calls. But Cork still had the winning of the game so will be deeply disappointed looking back at it.

There were a few reasons why they couldn’t close it out but the biggest reason by far was the performance of the referee. In what world is that rugby tackle not a blatant free in and black card with two minutes left?

The rugby tackle was followed by the Dublin player ripping the ball off the ground before another Dublin player went through the back of Sheedy who was picking up the ball.

Dublin also got a free for one of their players losing their footing and running into a Cork player, who was supposed to magically disappear. You could point to 4 or 5 other insanely soft frees Dublin got when they were chasing the game.

I know referees put in a lot of effort and give up their time but so do the players and coaches. They deserve a lot better than the refereeing they were subjected to. Astonishingly poor refereeing even at this level.

When are management and coaching set-ups particularly in Cork going to realise that Gaelic Games cannot and should not be coached based on soccer and rugby. I've seen it hugely at club level and it has filtered through with GDA's and coaches across the board mostly at the same carry on, there is a root to this problem and from a County board point of view it has to be cut out or any development will be greatly hampered. When the pressure came on anytime a Cork player met with an obstacle going forward there was no such thing as trusting their skills, speed and kicking to get out of trouble, instead it was a case of take the ball backwards and play the ball to a guy who was far deeper even play it back to the goalkeeper. When this team were behind v Kerry and needed scores they played the same negative football. Also a lot of greedy players on the Cork team when in posession, this and what I referred to above needed to be coached out of them but no stone seem to be turned by the management in this regard throughout the championship.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Villagers
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place

3rd Dec 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

That They May Face The Rising Sun (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8:05pm

More events ▼