Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Twomey started in full forward line . He was half forward in league . They haven’t a clue what they’re doing . The coach involved to hasn’t a clue and isn’t even from Cork I don’t think. I’d rather have went out and got beat with a young team than get beat with the older players they keep going to . Hoggie 36 this year ffs
I’d 100% rather get beat with young lads from the last few u20 teams than watching the same old fellas get beat by small margins over and over again . But the cycle continues and nothing changes

Think you slightly misunderstood my point Cranky I meant leadership from Pat Ryan.
He doesn’t need to be as animated as Davey Fitz but yanno like look a bit fired up and so on.

Absolutely Waterford were the better team, we were out hurled and out worked by a team who wanted it more plain and simple.
The managers job is then to motivate, encourage, change tactics and make subs and he didn’t do much of any today. Changed tactics wrong (such as moving TOC back) and leaving players on the field when they weren’t at the races. That’s not an insult to players, they can have off days which happens. It’s up the manager to change it then.
You can be sure that he’s more demanding in private with the team. If he’d come out and said they want to win Munster he’d look a right fool now after that performance.

You can be sure that he’s more demanding in private with the team. If he’d come out and said they want to win Munster he’d look a right fool now after that performance.
I’m not sure no and today definitely proved it, he’d opportunity in private at HT and it didn’t seem to do much. A lot of people here are the same opinion as regards Pat Ryan.

First off Waterford full value for their win. Commitment, quality and a smart team on the line. Full credit to them.

On us- Shambolic. Plenty on here saying the same thing, we don’t compete well enough in the air, don’t win enough dirty ball on the ground and whatever about the ref having a nightmare our line are hopeless. We have no one to blame but ourselves, we pick players who haven’t been able to get the job done for over a decade. That’s embarrassing.
The much maligned KK made some big calls a few years ago when he dropped Hoggie and played TOM and AC as the inside forwards and we lost that year by having a terrible conversion day at the office vs Galway.
Year later he dropped Lehane off the panel. 2024 they are back starting championship games and not producing. The game has moved on and Cork have not. I have very little faith in this management team, their record is abysmal.
Onto next week and major surgery is needed.
DC- too slow, harsh red card but miles off it.
TOC- love his bite but too small for WB and didn’t perform at midfield
CL&PH- enough is enough. Allow us a glimpse into the future and take these lads out. No one goes out to have a bad game but they are no where near the level anymore.
ST- rough day but I wouldn’t be giving up on him.

Bring in ROF/ BH/ DD if fit and maybe Eoin Roche needs that FB run. Could he do worse?

I’m not sure no and today definitely proved it, he’d opportunity in private at HT and it didn’t seem to do much. A lot of people here are the same opinion as regards Pat Ryan.
I’m not convinced by him either.

I am somewhat of the opinion however is that this is how good these players are. Lots of good players. No great ones.

Last edited:
Leaving team selection and reluctance to make changes aside - can anyone explain the puck out strategy to me?

We knew how Waterford would set up defensively, we knew what Davys approach would be and they’d pack that HB zone.. and we still go and puck the majority of them long and Waterford eat them up

It was a day to go short if ever there was one

We've seen this particular movie too many times before. There'll be a couple of good performances, one that gets us thinking we could do it, but ultimately, we'll fall well short again.

By the time this Limerick team starts to wane, Kilkenny will have fully rebuilt, with a soft Leinster championship giving them every opportunity they need to blood players. Cork will be waiting at least another five years for an all Ireland. The long and short of it is that we are no longer a force in GAA.

Here goes, but first remember this is a forum of opinions. So the General Counsel around here who put down anyone who said we weren’t good enough to win an AI over the last few months can go and do one…

1. DC is a horse of a man. He may even be hung like one for all I know. But for fuck sake he had had his turn and let us down more often than not. Eoin Downey or Eoin Roche should be holding that number 3 shirt by now.

2. ‘Roles Royce Joyce’ is not the second coming of Christ. He has some distance to go to being a top player and today showed it.

3. Biggest worry today for me was the subs. They just slotted in and carried on the same piss performance and efforts of those they replaced. Hayes is like Bambi on ice, he’s still probably wondering how Barron turned him inside out for that score. He should have been playing football yesterday.

4. Imagine being poor Sean Twomey on that bus journey back. We will give you a chance but our OAPS have squatters right in their starting jerseys so you’ll be evicted from the game first.

5. I am sick of hearing Hoggy owes us nothing. He fucking does, he owes us effort and a performance. He will continue to do so as long he plays for this county. His attitude on that pitch is shit. He spent half the game chatting to his man, the other breathing heavily with his hands on his hips, waiting to do his catwalk strut out to take a free. When he’s eventually dropped he will come out in the papers complaining anyway. He will be talked about here like Landers is within 3 years.

6. We are shite. The drought will not end in this decade.

Edit: was sitting next to a Tipp man. He couldn’t believe how Harnedy, Hoggy and Lehane were starting. He was Pa Bourkes uncle. Nice chap. Said if Pa was from Cork he would still be playing CF for us for the next 5 years still.

Monumental game now next week. Waterford were written off a bit by most people and for good reason, they have been very poor the last two years, but I think everyone expected them to take points at some stage and fair play to them they were well worth their win. Cork were very unfortunate to have both marginal refereeing calls go against them, especially Cahalane but I think Waterford probably would have found a way anyway.

Quite depressing from a Cork perspective. A very conservative selection and seeing the same or similar failings from the same players year after year is disheartening. Horgan is undroppable until Dalton is available on account of his freetaking but put simply no serious contender in hurling this year is going to be lining out with three forwards in their 30s.

The sideline have massive calls to make because another defeat next sunday and they probably won't be there next year and that's the reality of it. Wouldn't be writing the year off yet though. I don't rate Clare as highly as many do on here at all and they have as many question marks over them as we do if not more. A few tweaks in the selection and it's a very winnable game. There are going to be a lot of twists in Munster this year.
Well said. We're all gutted by that, but at least we have another chance to redeem ourselves. Effectively, we're now in the knockout stage and can't afford to lose next week. Plenty of Cork teams won AI's from knockout hurling. We're better than what we saw today. And if we can't beat Clare at home, we've no business going any further anyway.

I wouldn't argue with the refereeing calls today. Both were correct/understandable. But I reckon if we had kept 15 men on the pitch, we'd have won. We went down two men at the most crucial stage of the game. Also, I think people completely underestimate Waterford. They've a lot of decent players and will be a handful for anybody. That we came so close when down two players gives me some hope that we're not as bad as people might think.

But part of the reason we went down to 13, was Pat Ryan. I know kicking the manager is kind of clichéd, but he has to take responsibility for a very bad call. Leaving a FB with a yellow card on the field is a bigger gamble every minute that passes. Cahalane was left on way too long. Likewise, Lehane, Harnedy and Hoggie. Very disheartening for guys like Mahony sitting on the bench and getting no opportunity even when others are not performing. Then Jack O'Connor is sent on for the last two minutes or so? What the fuck is he supposed to do in a couple of minutes? Some very very bad calls by management. They need to learn the lessons from this shit show.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jack Ahern

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼