Cork Hurlers - Part 2

In fairness that's a very well put points and is in tune with what I have been trying to summarise talking with people over the last while.

Take any established all ireland winning team over the last two decades in either code. 10 or more players of the starting 15 are locked into start and they'll hold there spot by constantly delivering time and time again at the highest level.

With Cork there's a lot of good decent hurlers in the mix, but there's a debate around who starts where in nearly every position apart from Joyce at CB, and even fellas are suggesting he goes to midfield now.

I know fellas will chime in saying that different teams move players and adapt games plans based on oppositions and game plans etc, but the fundamentals go back to my main point which it's very hard to identify who our core group of starting players are, because it doesn't appear we have one, we've been a team in transition for 20 years.

I really hope that changes soon, and I do have faith in this Managment team to get it right but we have to start seeing progress real soon.
I think the Limerick championship game last year saw us finally settle on close to our best line up. From that team I would say SOD, DC, CJ, DF, TOM, SH and PH were the bedrock of that team and PC, RD, NOL, GM and DD all almost certainties to start in any subsequent games had we qualified. Add in MC and ROF who were injured and you have 14 guys you would almost certainly have started. And that is without mentioning the dozen or so newcomers who broke onto the panel last year and will only get better.

The issue is not individual players, we have them, the issue is our lack of what I would call our team play, that can only be developed over time and many championship games together. Missing out on qualifying from Munster last year cost us big time in developing that team play and cohesion that we still lack.

I’m still very disappointed with last weeks showing but I am keeping that Limerick performance in my head and I’m hoping Pat is doing the same.

The next 4 league games are vital in developing that team play, in developing our thirst for hard work and in trying to settle on our first 15 so players can create the understanding with their team mates around them.

Despite last Sunday I am still reasonably confident we can make a huge impact this year but let’s not throw out match jersies too easily, pick 10 to 12 of the guys I named above every match and let’s develop the younger guys around them in a framework that works

I think the Limerick championship game last year saw us finally settle on close to our best line up. From that team I would say SOD, DC, CJ, DF, TOM, SH and PH were the bedrock of that team and PC, RD, NOL, GM and DD all almost certainties to start in any subsequent games had we qualified. Add in MC and ROF who were injured and you have 14 guys you would almost certainly have started. And that is without mentioning the dozen or so newcomers who broke onto the panel last year and will only get better.

The issue is not individual players, we have them, the issue is our lack of what I would call our team play, that can only be developed over time and many championship games together. Missing out on qualifying from Munster last year cost us big time in developing that team play and cohesion that we still lack.

I’m still very disappointed with last weeks showing but I am keeping that Limerick performance in my head and I’m hoping Pat is doing the same.

The next 4 league games are vital in developing that team play, in developing our thirst for hard work and in trying to settle on our first 15 so players can create the understanding with their team mates around them.

Despite last Sunday I am still reasonably confident we can make a huge impact this year but let’s not throw out match jersies too easily, pick 10 to 12 of the guys I named above every match and let’s develop the younger guys around them in a framework that works
Spot on R&B. It takes time but the raw material is certainly there

It's grand to say this but who's starting ahead of them? The 3 other forwards last Sunday were just as culpable as Hoggie, Conor and Kingston for the failure to win the ball. We all think ROF is good but he was cleaned out by Hogan.
I also think that it was tactically poor in the second half rather than what the players did.
Just off the top of my head for the 6 forwards.
Tommy O Connell, Brian Roche, Sean Twomey
Robbie O Flynn, Shane Barrett, Rob Downey, Deccie Dalton, Tim O Mahony.
I know I'm missing some and I alsowould hope some of the younger lads from the winning u21 teams might also push for inclusion but you get the point.

To ensure we go another 20 years without an all ireland? I would be going further a field for proper stallions than that bunch of strikers.
feed-the-trolls-e1644365795328.png

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Brian Gallagher Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

18th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

BoolaBoom

Levis Corner House, Today @ 7:30pm

More events ▼