Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Ok article by Shannon.

Echoes a lot of whats being said here.

Its a positive that the floodgates didnt open against Limerick but tbh the disastrous decision to allow O'Connell back on to ship another 2 scores off Kelly cost us the game in Ennis.

Blaming the ref is wode of the mark when we put ourselves in a must win position the previous week.

At the risk of being flamed here, am I the only one here who thinks that the throw/hand-pass for that Limerick goal didn't look like an obvious throw? Think there was very little between the "throw-up" and "palm-over" but though it was fast and minimal it wasn't as bad as other's I've seen permitted. :unsure:

Flame away :cool:

It's the end of the story for you.

The zero sum analysis binge of shutting down people who have different feelings on the matter with stuff like "if it was Kingston you'd have asked for his head you hypocrite" shows a desire to settle scores that is chilling 🤣🤣
This is PROC buddy, only the chosen few are entitled to an opinion.

Cherry picking and isolating individual management decisions, in an attempt to give a simple reason for why we lost a game that was packed full of multiple incidents that could have changed the outcome of the game......well that is exactly the kind of analysis that leads people to blaming the ref for losses.

There are always going to be individual moments that stick in people's minds and colour their views as to what went wrong and why we lost, accepting those as neat explanations probably means the underlying cause for losses is being overlooked.

I think the Examiner article rightly brings up the "fade" problem that we've had all season, since the Munster league.

It is a fascinating one, it's obvious that it's one that management have yet to get to grips with, much to their frustration.
I did see game to game improvement in relation to it though.

It started off with us being slow starters and allowing teams get a run on us in the early stages of games, we knocked that comprehensively on the head. Then it shifted to bring a second and third quarter fade. To a certain degree it was limited to a third quarter fade v Limerick.
In the context of Limerick that is not unusual as they regularly have a purple patch in third quarter.
I wonder if it related in someway to players being caught in two minds as to whether to go for goals or take points.
There was on stage in the closing quarter of the game on Sunday when Darragh Fitz was running towards goal, he popped over his point, which I thought was the correct option at the time.
In hindsight, I looked at it and thought, what if he'd kept going and tried for goal?
Who dares wins and all.
There were plenty of Limerick players back. They might have blocked him. It could have ended with him being dispossessed, a free out, free in, a penalty...

Cherry picking and isolating individual management decisions, in an attempt to give a simple reason for why we lost a game that was packed full of multiple incidents that could have changed the outcome of the game......well that is exactly the kind of analysis that leads people to blaming the ref for losses.

There are always going to be individual moments that stick in people's minds and colour their views as to what went wrong and why we lost, accepting those as neat explanations probably means the underlying cause for losses is being overlooked.

I think the Examiner article rightly brings up the "fade" problem that we've had all season, since the Munster league.

It is a fascinating one, it's obvious that it's one that management have yet to get to grips with, much to their frustration.
I did see game to game improvement in relation to it though.

It started off with us being slow starters and allowing teams get a run on us in the early stages of games, we knocked that comprehensively on the head. Then it shifted to bring a second and third quarter fade. To a certain degree it was limited to a third quarter fade v Limerick.
In the context of Limerick that is not unusual as they regularly have a purple patch in third quarter.
I wonder if it related in someway to players being caught in two minds as to whether to go for goals or take points.
There was on stage in the closing quarter of the game on Sunday when Darragh Fitz was running towards goal, he popped over his point, which I thought was the correct option at the time.
In hindsight, I looked at it and thought, what if he'd kept going and tried for goal?
Who dares wins and all.
There were plenty of Limerick players back. They might have blocked him. It could have ended with him being dispossessed, a free out, free in, a penalty...
Absolutely spot on. The big calls went against us but that isn’t the reason we lost. Limerick are improving game by game and my bet is that by the time they get to Croke Park they’ll be close to top form again.

We’ve much to be optimistic about and proud of. But we need to keep the work going and hopefully we’ll be better again next year. A lot of promising players about now. Special mention for Damien Cahalane, he was one of Cork’s best players over the last month.

Reading this article and my first thoughts and questions were: are we so conditioned by the insta outrage reactions that are amplified by the media environment that we live in that supporters and commentators not howling in outrage at failing to qualify is somehow seen as being remiss?

The idea being pushed here is that people are supressing criticism in an attempt not to offend a sensitive management.

What absolute BS.
Primarily because we know the management are not sensitive and hold themselves to account, we’ve seen it every time Pat Ryan talks to the media.

Sure we know it’s no good for Examiner clicks if the majority of people genuinely believe that the team and management gave absolutely everything this year and that the fine margins of hard fought defeat, are a little less distressing than the more passive higher margin defeats of last year.

That people weren’t in the mood for nit picking and recrimination after the game is a testament to a sense of loyalty and gratitude for the highs and lows that we’ve experienced with the team this season.

In general people wanted to see and feel something different watching Cork this year, I think people did, that the outcome were results that were worse than last year is something that we all recognise.

We get it, we know it, we will still feel the pain of it all throughout June and July as we watch our “enemies” march on.

If other people want to feel sorry for us that’s for them.

While they are feeling sorry, our management can take some deserved time out before, analysing, re-setting, and planning to make sure that this never happens again!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

His Father's Voice

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼