Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Our set up on opposition puckouts has been a joke all year. Push up man on man and win the puckout. Especially as you said when time was almost up and we were a point down.

Joyce is a warrior and completely showed up the decision making of our management when he was eventually put center back. To me it was a no brainer from before a ball was struck this year. But nah, we decided we are the Harlem Globetrotters of the hurling world

Good shout on Millerick, he has to be put half back next year along with Joyce and Downey and with Daire O Leary hopefully cementing his place at full back. At least then we can be confident in our defence and they can start hurling like half backs should

Agree with most of this, except Downey. Thought maybe he was shown up for lack of pace and decision making there today further out the field. Seems to show flashes of brilliance every odd match.

Agree with most of this, except Downey. Thought maybe he was shown up for lack of pace and decision making there today further out the field. Seems to show flashes of brilliance every odd match.
I wouldn’t really judge Downey on today, his natural game of winning the ball, bursting out and hitting a 50 yard pass to the inside fowards has been bate out of him this year. He will flourish under a proper tactical and coaching ticket

Downey was shocking yesterday with the ball. Over played it every single time. To be fair to Cahalane he usually is guilty of that but he was fantastic all round and did the right thing.

What are people's thoughts on furlong possibly being given the job as manager? Would he do a completely different job than kingston if given the no1 position?

The prospect of continued sniping if the "wrong" management team get the gig is disconcerting, the day after we went out for 2022.

There are the "right" people in Cork. We all might have different views on who they are, but they exist in the county.

Cork should have won easily yesterday but should have doesn't matter. They didn't.

If I was taking over the job I'd try really hard to create a tight knit group that, as Anthony Daly said yesterday, keeps the out out. There's too much Furlong this, Mulcahy that, Grady this etc etc. That smacks as much of agenda and grievance as it does objective views on merit.

Kingston mentioned it, the players believed in themselves when the broader Cork hurling public were sniping about players and management.

That kind of toxicity gets us nowhere.

You can see it in some posts here since yesterday. You can see it in the personal jibes and arguing that was borne out of frustration and disappointment of Cork losing that took up pages here, when we ALL want Cork winning.

Let's see what happens. Let's get behind whoever it is, not blindly as if everything is rosy but with the intent to discuss and analyse constructively. It will be 18 years next year. That's an utterly depressing reality.

Sickening way to go out of the championship yesterday. It’s one thing being beaten by a better side but I really feel Cork left that behind them yesterday. We weren’t at the races from the word go and the whole thing stunk of flatness. That goes for the atmosphere at the stadium too, the 1:30 throw in on a Saturday was a shambles and I wouldn’t want to see it again.
Very few positives really to take in an error ridden game.
I’d say Collins will be sick today looking back on the game.
Cahalane gets a lot of unnecessary stick but to his credit was excellent yesterday, ODonoghue got caught out badly for the goal but aside from that I actually think he did well on Whelan who is a serious hurler.

Joyce is an absolute star, He oozes class and calmness. Really stood up as a leader yesterday.

I also felt Luke Meade had another solid game too, got on a world of ball and worked himself into the ground.
Robbie OFlynn would drive you mad with some of his decision making but was our best forward yesterday for me. A constant threat running at the Galway defence

Was delighted for Alan Cadogan, he’s had a torrid time with injuries but has been a great servant to Cork.
On Hoggie, I did think it was the right call to drop him myself. Unfortunately for management Lehane had an off day on the frees (Free taking was poor in 2nd game too) so only blew up the decision more. If Hoggie does step away then what a hurler, a real shame he never got his hands on Liam but has carried us on his back for so long.

Looking ahead to next year are we are risk of another transition period?
Cahalane
Harnedy
Lehane
Cadogan
Hoggie
All involved yesterday and all potential retirements?
I would expect this to be the end of KK and reckon Furlong wants the job, remains to be seen if he carries the same vision.

Based on watching the games yesterday, don’t think anybody gets within an asses roar of Limerick who have Lynch and supposedly Casey nearing returns. A tough pill to swallow but we will be back.

I do worry sometimes that people think because we won a few underage all irelands it's a matter of time before it happens. It doesn't work that way.

2022 : Lose a league final and lost a quarter final to Galway in Thurles. We haven't moved the dial an inch since 2015.
Basically the team is made of three waves. The original elder statesmen of Harnedy, Horgan and Cadogan and Lehane. The bunch of young lads who Kingston brought in and are now mid 20s of Colman, Fitzgibbon etc and the new players coming in from the U20s of Joyce and Connolly.

We are getting enough through to keep us in the top 6 but not enough to challenge for an overall win. After the giddy heights of last year our underage has collapsed again. How long will we be waiting for another underage title?

Also the type of player we are producing which goes back to our under firing club game is not abrasive enough. For all the bull on here of hidden gems they are not really there. Until our club game gets back on top or until we start winning consistently at underage level we are going nowhere.

Lots of crap on here about styles being the reason for our woes but that's all it is, crap.
No matter what style or players we played this year we weren't going to be within an asses roar of Limerick or even Clare. The great white hope of direct ball into a big man who would channel Ray Cummins and reopen the golden age of Cork hurling was exposed as the bullshit of out of touch of old men who have done their best to hold progress in Cork gaa back for years and are still trying to poison the well. Their new shit will be undermining whatever new management team that is put in place.

Last edited:
That's simply not true. We have generally lost big when dumped out of championship in recent years. Today is a game where we were clearly the better team. There is easily a panel there capable of winning and AI and its generally a young panel. Plenty real reason for hope for the next few years
Against Galway.
We'd have lost big against Clare or Limerick, in fact we already did.
Galway are as far off the pace as we are. It was even more frustrating we couldn't beat a clearly bang average team.

We could potentially retire 4 players in the next couple of years that played a part yesterday. Unless we have a United kids in the 90s type situation going on at underage which appears unlikely after this year's underage we will find it difficult to replace them.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

The Teachers Lounge (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼