Cork Hurlers - Part 2

In real time I thought it looked a great challenge tbh. Kind of thing The Rock made his name on.
Galway people will look at that challenge in the same way cork people look back on how the rock almost put jack sheedy into the uncovered stand or the day he charged out knocking kk men like skittles,

Another terrible day of which there are many over the last 17 years. A lot of the same failings showing themselves again. Let's not cod ourselves here this year has been a step backwards.

People will reply saying that players have been brought through and joyce at cb and connelly at ff is great development, but that is BS, plenty of people on this forum were calling for that in the middle of the league and the managment seemed like the last people in Cork to cop it, only took two floggings in the munster championship for them to wake up and implement the changes.

The slow starts against tipperary and antrim showed the writing on the wall for what developed today, even if we converted a small few of the wasted opportunities where we're we going? Is anyone with a fraction of understanding of where we are at going to come on here and say we had a chance of turning over Limerick in a semi final. Start asking the hard questions now, and not blindly following mediocrity year after year. This wouldn't stand in Kilkenny or Kerry (in football before people get sassy).

The next managerial appointment will be the most important in our history. It's do or die........

Kingston will go, the problem is Mr Mul and Mr Furlong will enter the hot seat as the incumbent members of the social club known as the Cork hurling Mgmt family. Don't be suprised if Mr Meyler pops up. No members of the current panel will depart even though some of them are clearly finished . But we have a cosy cartel and let's not upset the applecart.

Another terrible day of which there are many over the last 17 years. A lot of the same failings showing themselves again. Let's not cod ourselves here this year has been a step backwards.

People will reply saying that players have been brought through and joyce at cb and connelly at ff is great development, but that is BS, plenty of people on this forum were calling for that in the middle of the league and the managment seemed like the last people in Cork to cop it, only took two floggings in the munster championship for them to wake up and implement the changes.

The slow starts against tipperary and antrim showed the writing on the wall for what developed today, even if we converted a small few of the wasted opportunities where we're we going? Is anyone with a fraction of understanding of where we are at going to come on here and say we had a chance of turning over Limerick in a semi final. Start asking the hard questions now, and not blindly following mediocrity year after year. This wouldn't stand in Kilkenny or Kerry (in football before people get sassy).

The next managerial appointment will be the most important in our history. It's do or die........
Ooh matron. It'll be the most important one until the next one and is now more important than the previous one.

Kingston will go, the problem is Mr Mul and Mr Furlong will enter the hot seat as the incumbent members of the social club known as the Cork hurling Mgmt family. Don't be suprised if Mr Meyler pops up. No members of the current panel will depart even though some of them are clearly finished . But we have a cosy cartel and let's not upset the applecart.
Surely Pat Ryan will get the job ??

Just home, absolutely gutted, I think this is the end of the road for this management team and if so I would like to thank them for their commitment to Cork hurling. And I would especially like to thank the players who represented us all year.

However, today was absolutely appalling, we had enough chances to win two games never mind one but we butchered it. Why we insist on taking on a goal shot when it’s clearly not the best decision is beyond me.

The goal Patrick Collins conceded in the opening minutes was a huge blunder but I hope no one is on here blaming him for the defeat. We had 68 minutes to recover and we couldn’t. However it’s a goalies job to not make huge blunders and he did today.

Tactically we were a joke, too many short passes when we should have been going long but then when we did go long we had only one player inside the opposition 21 again.

Why are we persisting with playing our 3 full fowards in a straight line from the goal to the 45? We have almost zero goal scoring threat playing that way. A blind man would see that a double edge of the square pairing of Tim and Connolly was the way to go but nah, we have to be tactical geniuses and put square pegs in round holes.

Lehane had a serious off day today but it happens everyone, he’s been superb all year but today was not his day. No doubt he’ll be eaten alive on here tonight.

Shane Kingston should never have started that game today, he just doesn’t have the game reading ability needed when things are tough and tight. Shane has a big role to play going foward but only coming on with 20 minutes to go.

Jack was miles off the required level again today, he’s so cumbersome on the ball when he’s not in full gallop. Again not a starter for me.

Why in gods name did the management see fit to take off Connolly and Tim when they were the only fowards making the ball stick? That’s two weeks running now they’ve done that to what are realistically our only two inside fowards capable of creating or scoring goals.

We finished up with a foward line of Robbie, Kingston, Jacko, Hoggy, Harnedy and Cadogan. Where in gods name did the selectors come up with that finishing six? Talk about lack of ball winners on the pitch and lack of preparation by the selectors

Have to say Hoggy done well when introduced and while he now won’t win that Celtic Cross he’s going to
go out with his reputation intact and for that I am so glad for the man

The bottom line is we just weren’t good enough today or all championship. We are a quarter final team with so many question marks that it is infuriating at this stage of a season. We put all our faith in the tippy tappy style and when we changed it mid championship we got a bounce but for the last two games we reverted back to type and have looked bang average.
Hey man, very disappointed. While Collins mistakes were early I’d still attribute 6 points conceded to his performance.
Managements term is up and we need something new and fresh. It’s exhausting people questioning our workrate and hunger all the time. I feel that this malaise is down to the awful tactics we employ and the general attitude toward cork hurling. Galway picked off easy scores 2nd half.
Let’s be honest this Galway team are really poor and we left them out of Thurles today.

I'd love to be able to disagree with you but unfortunately it seems like the musical chairs of managerial appointments looks set to continue. And the same issues will keep reoccurring in line with that. Definition of madness etc.....

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 10:00 am
More info..

The Old Moderns

Clancys, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼