Cork Hurlers - Part 2

It’s a game of opinions.
I’ve been part of team managements where some absolutely unbelievable suggestions have been made at times (so much so that you are wondering is this a wind up) so it isn’t just proc.
Absolutely. You hear some off the wall stuff during matches in the stand and terrace too. I’m sure I’ve said some off the wall things myself.

Lads saying losing an all ireland semi final to Limerick is acceptable is off the wall. Ye still don’t get it.

Respect them but don’t fear them, don’t fawn all over them, prepare properly, be set up right and fight fire with fire and let’s see where the chips fall

But ye are looking too far ahead, it’s all about Dublin on Saturday and the last thing we need is to be dragged into a dogfight there. We need to be ready for war from the off, unfortunately we’ve seen us not be in 2 of our 5 games now, that’s enough to keep me worried.

But im confident Pat will have them hopping and we will perform and hopefully move on to the semis

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this reminds me of my own club 2 years ago, written off in the group stages, got our act together and reached the quarter finals. Even though we still weren’t being talked about I knew once we reached the last 8 we could win it but more importantly we had to go and try win it, the prize for being brave was huge and is now for Cork

Lads saying losing an all ireland semi final to Limerick is acceptable is off the wall. Ye still don’t get it.

Respect them but don’t fear them, don’t fawn all over them, prepare properly, be set up right and fight fire with fire and let’s see where the chips fall

But ye are looking too far ahead, it’s all about Dublin on Saturday and the last thing we need is to be dragged into a dogfight there. We need to be ready for war from the off, unfortunately we’ve seen us not be in 2 of our 5 games now, that’s enough to keep me worried.

But im confident Pat will have them hopping and we will perform and hopefully move on to the semis
I don’t think anybody said that though R&B.

Too late , the fawning is rabid here now and one fella here giving this team another 3 years before a potential Breakthrough, what planet are these lads on! "THERE IS NO TOMORROW" NAIL IT TO THE DRESSING ROOM DOOR.

Valid reply Bronx, you do make some great points.
I think if we're going 15 on 15 Downey keeps the 6.
As you state Downey isn't the fastest guy, that's why he holds the centre as he knows he will struggle to make up the ground.
He anchors the backline together which is what's needed.
They created space to exploit Downey.
On another day that should be dealt with accordingly.
Switch a player.

On a personal opinion I believe Joyce is better at wing back/midfield as there's less pressure on him to get back if he goes forward.
Again his nickname 'Rolls Royce Joyce' stems from his presence driving forward.
If he's 6 and drives forward there is no cover and then space down the centre for the opposition.

I too do acknowledge when the opposition pulls there wing forwards to create space and then target there 11 in space who Downey is marking.

Cork's game management would need to look at playing Cork's Game or the opposition game.
In my opinion Joyce is a threat going forward that the opposition cannot handle so therefore that's an advantage to Cork.
It's a disadvantage if he goes forward from 6 and no one covers him.
Would Cork be better if they played the strategy of telling Joyce to hold the middle more consistently? I get that it's in his nature to go forward but he could be coached to play a different role in certain games. That's what I would like to see.

You can acknowledge that Cork reaching a semifinal and making a good account of themselves is progress but not ultimately satisfactory. They didn't get out of Munster last year. Doing that and winning two games in the All Ireland Series is progress comparatively. That's an objective truth. That doesn't mean it's good enough.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cormac Ó Caoimh
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

26th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

DJ Ian Richards

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼