Cork Hurlers - Part 2

That was 2009. I was there above in Nowlan Park.

Have a deep deep hatred of Kilkenny ever since. Not that they hammered us, that's sport. But the behaviour of their fans before, during and after the game will always be ingrained in my memory. There is gloating and bragging and there is down right vitriolic abuse and that's what the Kilkenny supporters engaged in that day. I would dearly dearly love to absolutely paste them some day more then any other county.
I absolutely concur Vlad. I was there with with my wife and two friends. We had planned on having a nice post match meal in Langtons in the midst of like-minded hurling aficionados. Alas, the best laid plans came to nought when having witnessed the naked vitriol from the KK fans during the match we high-tailed it out of town post match as expeditiously as was possible. I lost a lot of respect for KK that day and vowed never to return to Nowlan Park. The 2013 victory over them gave me some satisfaction but, like Vlad, I would love to see Cork give them an absolute hammering and preferably in an AI final. Finally, I would like to state that my strong feelings are unique only to Kilkenny.

Had to feel sorry for a Tipp family sitting in front of us, the father turned around and shook our hands after the game, and a couple of times in the last 20 minutes he put his hand on his son's shoulder and said "it'll be over soon", the son was around 10 years old.

In fairness he and his kids stayed to the end while their team was getting a pasting. And that's what real supporters do, unlike those who get up and leave with 15 minutes to go (and there were plenty of Tipp guys heading for the exit early on Sunday)

We've all experienced the lows following our county, the frustrations, the disappointments, and occasionally the utter depths when we're getting tanked and absolutely nothing goes right and you can't even see the tunnel, never mind the light at the end of it. But it's those lows that make the highs all the more enjoyable imho.

Whenever the dam finally bursts, when the famine will end, and end it eventually will, then those lows you feel will make the highs seem even higher imho. It was that way when the Glen won the county again in 2015, I'm sure it was that way for the Barrs in 2022, and it will be that way for Cork at some stage hence, Le cunamh Dé

In fairness to Kilkenny, they preferred to do their talking out on the pitch and what a team they were.
They were awesome, the 06-09 team is still the best team I have ever seen hurl, everyone one of them would die or kill for the jersey, and they could hurl you any way you want. Tommy Walsh was the best of them in my eyes, a real warrior

I remember John Allen gave an interview the week of the 06 Final saying the only team that could beat Cork was Cork themselves or something to that effect. We draw it on ourselves sometimes.
I remember a few days before that final a friend of mine from KK was on the phone to me, He was at a fair few KK training sessions in the lead up to the final,
He told me KK were absolutely flying and it would take an almighty effort from Cork to beat them,

They were awesome, the 06-09 team is still the best team I have ever seen hurl, everyone one of them would die or kill for the jersey, and they could hurl you any way you want. Tommy Walsh was the best of them in my eyes, a real warrior
I remember coming out of Croke Park after they beat us in 08 thinking nobody will ever beat them. I think the subsequent final showed Cork actually did well that day. They just came up against an unbeatable team in their prime.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

18th Sep 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Best Of Cork Summer Special

City Limits, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼