Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Incredible scenes in the pairc last night. First night that the new pairc felt like an uncomfortable hostile environment for our visitors. The noise down there, mother of God. Watched it back this morning, the coverage didn't convey just how loud the place was. What a rip roaring game. Possibly the greatest I've ever seen.

Whatever happens next week I think Pat Ryan has shown he has to stay on for next year. I was starting to have serious doubts over the last 3 weeks but a manager that has that kind of believe instilled in his team has the hard part done in my opinion. I'm still critical of the way he used the league and the the opening 25 minutes was appalling v Waterford but I was hugely impressed with last night.

I thought he showed real balls to have his team target Diarmuid Byrnes and Declan Hannon with puckouts. Hammer the hammer they say, by god did Ryan do that. Withdrawing Eoin Downey for getting a yellow after 20 minutes was ruthless. First time in 20 years I think we could use that word about our manager. We ditched the tippy tappy carry on for the most part and went route one, get the ball as fast as possible anyway at all into our full forward line and let the chaos unfold. I'm so pleased that Pat Ryan went back to the style of hurling that his successful U20s played. It suits us.

What pissed so many of us off in recent weeks is that we know the players are there but we weren't playing to our strengths. There was 26 on the panel last night, most of us here could probably name another 5 or 6 guys who we feel should be on the panel and we could put up solid arguments as to why they should. That's the strength we have. We just haven't harnessed it correctly yet ..... untill last night.

The ceiling for this team could be incredibly high if we get consistency. As good and all as last night was their is still room for a lot of improvement. The first 2 goals we conceded were comical, absolutely kamikaze stuff. Some of the goal chances were completely butchered again even if Quaid had an outstanding game. Ethan Twomey was excellent midfield but as yet doesn't have the stamina to last 70 minutes, ditto Deccy Dalton. These are all things we can work on to improve.

It was great to see the fight in Cork, Dalton needling Kyle Hayes was some battle. Byrnes and Hannon getting reddened (Byrnes was so gassed at the end he couldn't even get his hurly up to stop Kingston getting the ball over his head and then couldn't even drag him down, a foul there would have been a free, instead Kingston gets another 10 yards and we get a penalty) Brian Hayes and Alan Connolly had the Limerick full backline completely spooked. Pat Ryan shouldering Kinnerk was another great moment, showed a bloody mindedness that I hadn't seen in Cork in decades. Collins play acting to slow down Limerick was no harm either. We're finally learning.

I'd still be very nervous of Tipp next week. How do you get a team down from the high of last night to turn around and go again in 7 days time. Can we hit the heights of last night next Sunday.

Still though we're alive. Who'd have thought that at 6 o clock yesterday. Not me anyway
Great post. Re the bit in bold I don’t think it will be hard, playing Tipp innThurles in Munster Championship is always special, but the players have given themselves a lifeline last night, nothing more nothing less, they will know the job has to be finished next sunday. They will be bulling to get back training on Tuesday

On Sundays game I think we have the fowards to really trouble Tipp, I can see plenty of goals again. It will be close but I think the boost in confidence last night will give everyone cannot be underestimated

Great post. Re the bit in bold I don’t think it will be hard, playing Tipp innThurles in Munster Championship is always special, but the players have given themselves a lifeline last night, nothing more nothing less, they will know the job has to be finished next sunday. They will be bulling to get back training on Tuesday

On Sundays game I think we have the fowards to really trouble Tipp, I can see plenty of goals again. It will be close but I think the boost in confidence last night will give everyone cannot be underestimated
Tipp will come at us the way we came at Limerick last night. I really hope we have the energy for it.

Any word on the availability of Joyce, O Flynn and Rob Downey?

congrats lads!! Some game of Hurling and ye were the better team and deserved the win.

I thought we had a chance to close it out when going 4 ahead with 8-9 mins to go but fair play to Cork who took the game to us and finished much stronger.

Finn was a big loss and the performance of young o connor shows that we don't have the depth on the bench some say we have.

Byrnes had an awful game and Hannon's legs were gone with 10 to go but no sign of COlin Coughlan until the very end. That says a lot about how good Kiely thinks he is.

Never seen Cian Lynch as quiet and our half forward line very well beaten.

Hegarty is frustrating to watch. Scores two lovey points and sets up a goal in a 15 min spell but then looks disinterested and lazy for most of the game.

This could be a wake up call for a few of these players but with Mike and Peter Casey injured and O donovan not fit yet and Finn possibly injured too Kiely has to stick with the same players as last night

Id fancy us to Beat Waterford but wouldn't write off Davy coming up with a plan to disrupt us yet

Congrats again lads. Enjoy it and best of luck against Tipp.
Think you're being a bit harsh on Hegarty. He had a massive second half and instrumental in the Limerick come back.

If we win back-to back on Sunday and have qualified the following week, then we can start getting carried away again. Limerick will be some tough nut to crack outside of Munster though, albeit not completely bomb proof imho.
Limerick are just an incredible team Greg.
They just have the ability to win games in different situations. Kilkenny were brilliant also at it .
The biggest thing I took from this game from a Cork point of view was we actually played with 3 inside and it worked. When you can pin a back line who’s maybe worried about a high ball going in is just something we need and needed.
I think lads like Hayes Eoin Downey and Ethan Twomey will get soo much better and we need to sort out conceding stupid goals which for me will happen and We have a serious goal game now with Connolly .
My player of the year for Cork this year so far is Darragh Fitz . The amount of ground he covers is like Jerry and Tom back in the day.
A great win but we need to be consistent and follow this up
I don’t expect anything more than an absolute dogfight against Tipp and then we need other results to go our way so let’s just be realistic.
By god I enjoyed that game. It’s what makes us feel good about everything and we missed that feeling.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

11th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼