Cork Hurlers - Part 2

We have lost the know how to win a senior all Ireland. We don't have any manager in Cork who is capable of turning things around so my top picks for next manager to bring in and turn things around for next year are: 1 Davy Fitz. 2 Anthony Daly. 3 Sambo McNaughton 4. Dan Shanahan 5 Mickey Harte (great success with Tyrone and Louth and football skills are transferable e.g fly goalie).
Sambo isn’t available. He is on holidays in Spain sure. That big news was announced by RTE yesterday during the Clare-Limerick commentary.
You could be on to something with Mickey Harte though. The 2 boyos in charge of Limerick are football men too after all.

Sambo isn’t available. He is on holidays in Spain sure. That big news was announced by RTE yesterday during the Clare-Limerick commentary.
You could be on to something with Mickey Harte though. The 2 boyos in charge of Limerick are football men too after all.
Marty is some boyo for shiteing on during commentary. Did he mention whet certain lads are going to college? That usually gets a good airing.

Call it a slither of hope or clutching at straws but the bookies have it more or less Evens each of two for the Clare match. Clare a 1 point fave on the handicap. Now the gambler in me says Clare Evens (-1 point) could be a printing money exercise but would never back against Cork.

Joking aside, although on days like today it is good to get some laughs in, I hope the selectors have clear heads today as regards what happens next, only they will know what that is but by Christ I hope they get it right this week.

Clare will bring a totally different challenge tactically as they will set up in a more traditional way, but that won’t make our job any easier, they are a superbly well drilled group who all know exactly the role they will have to play.

Defensively I think we can get at them, Connolly will have a huge battle with Cleary but like Gillane yesterday he will get chances, and he must once again take them if we are to survive

We must target John Conlon with pace and force him to push up on our 11 by running at him every chance we get. This is a job for Darragh Fitz and no one else

If we learned anything from last years game it must be that we close down their two wing backs from delivering quality ball into their fowards. A fit Deccie Dalton and a surely hurt Tim O Mahony all day long for me. Twomey, Harnedy and Hayes as options

Shane Barrett to play the roving role as he so effectively did yesterday. His confidence must be through the roof at this stage.

Which leaves the partner for Alan inside, there are only 3 options for me as I don’t think we can start Hoggy, Seamus or Lehane 7 days after yesterday. It’s just not realistic

If Robbie is fully fit I’d start him inside with Connolly and spread the play by hitting ball to the corners for them to run onto . Only viable option to start is Brian Hayes who has an eye for goal and is well able to win ball. But the interesting option for me is Padraig Power, is he fit enough to start? Or come on? I hope so

Of course Hoggy would be a huge option with 20 minutes to go, and if fit Shane Kingston too

Midfield is a real conundrum of our own making. I’d start Mark there as he links the play well. But is it Tommy who’s done ok, or Brian Roche who had a stormer v Clare last year. Or Ethan Twomey maybe. Big call to be made here

Defensively I am extremely worried, Clare have a foward line full of power in Fitzgerald and Duggan on the wings and Rodgers or more likely Tony Kelly at 11. Now what do we do here? Let Joyce follow him all over the Pairc or again go horses for courses and reintroduce Niall as Kelly’s shadow and let Joyce sit? Is that why Niall was played at 6 in a league game I wonder?

RDowney on Duggan and maybe just maybe Cahalane to follow Fitzgerald everywhere?

That leaves 2 full back spots to pick up McCarthy and O Donnell or maybe they’ll go orthodox and pick 3 inside with Rodgers joining them. That’s a scary prospect for me

Sean is obviously one and Eoin Downey is a must and I think Niall O Leary will get the other spot ahead of Ger Millerick who to me just doesn’t have the hurling for corner back. Maybe Ger takes the Cahalane role instead.

There’s an awful lot for us to get right in the next day or so, much less so for Clare

Last edited:
Call it a slither of hope or clutching at straws but the bookies have it more or less Evens each of two for the Clare match. Clare a 1 point fave on the handicap. Now the gambler in me says Clare Evens (-1 point) could be a printing money exercise but would never back against Cork.
Clare will be firm favourites for Sunday, we were a shambles yesterday

One little detail sums up our ridiculous off the cuff approach, sideline cuts, we had Seamus taking one yesterday, I almost collapsed in the stand with his effort. Short passes to players being marked, what the fuck happened to players having a cut, literally, especially when you have someone like Coleman on the pitch and someone like Connolly in front of goal

The mind is still boggling 🤣

Clare will be firm favourites for Sunday, we were a shambles yesterday

One little detail sums up our ridiculous off the cuff approach, sideline cuts, we had Seamus taking one yesterday, I almost collapsed in the stand with his effort. Short passes to players being marked, what the fuck happened to players having a cut, literally, especially when you have someone like Coleman on the pitch and someone like Connolly in front of goal

The mind is still boggling 🤣
I think I read somewhere that teams are more likely to retain possession going short on a sideline cut. All about possession these days. But I completely agree with you. With Connolly inside it’d be no harm to at least vary the line balls and land a few in the square.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Best Of Cork Special
City Limits, Coburg St.

25th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Sunday & Bank Holiday Tours

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼