Cork Hurlers - Part 2

One thing that I think is really important which hasn’t been mentioned too much is that we need to get Coleman and OMahony back soon. I still think where they fit in is going to be very interesting and will need league games to figure that out. Both have missed a lot of hurling but both are key players who have been moved around positionally an awful lot

One thing that I think is really important which hasn’t been mentioned too much is that we need to get Coleman and OMahony back soon. I still think where they fit in is going to be very interesting and will need league games to figure that out. Both have missed a lot of hurling but both are key players who have been moved around positionally an awful lot
Good points. Tim in particular has been treated a bit harshly being moved around so often. Donal Óg said on the highlights programme last night if Cork get all players fit for the championship then we’ll be a different team. I’d go along with that. It’s a big challenge.

Maybe we do but let’s compare ourselves to Tipp. Very similar amount of All Irelands. They last won the league in 2008. They’ve won 3 All Irelands since. You can be sure they don’t care too much about the league. Teams will want to stay in the top 3 to get into 1A next year but nobody will be going all out to win the league. Limerick will probably win again because they’ve a very strong panel and have shown they can win All Irelands missing 2/3 players at a time.

You can't compare us to Tipperary. They have been far more consistent then us in the last 20 years. They have picked up a few All Ireland over that period and a league title in 2008 is ten years closer to now then our last league title. Our last big famine ran concurrently with a big gap in league titles. We last won one in 52 before winning the all Ireland in 66 with Ger MacCarthy as captain.

You can't compare us to Tipperary. They have been far more consistent then us in the last 20 years. They have picked up a few All Ireland over that period and a league title in 2008 is ten years closer to now then our last league title. Our last big famine ran concurrently with a big gap in league titles. We last won one in 52 before winning the all Ireland in 66 with Ger MacCarthy as captain.
The league famine had was already well underway when we won our last All Ireland. Not winning a league or All Ireland in so long are just results of not being good enough. This is just my opinion but given the injuries we still have we’d do very well to win the league this year. Being in 1A is important but it’s not the be all and end all. Financially is another story.

The league famine had was already well underway when we won our last All Ireland. Not winning a league or All Ireland in so long are just results of not being good enough. This is just my opinion but given the injuries we still have we’d do very well to win the league this year. Being in 1A is important but it’s not the be all and end all. Financially is another story.
No it wasn't, 98 to 2005 is only 7 years. We won the All Ireland in 99 and obviously our priority became the All Ireland over the league.
When you're winning All Ireland's it's fine to be blase about the league. We aren't however so we can't.
I think it was in RTEs preview that they said that it's very likely Hoggie will retire without winning a national title.
That would have been unimaginable in the past. We haven't won an All Ireland in 19 years. It's the longest famine in our entire history with no real sign of it ending. We are in a new landscape now with no Cork players with national titles. Who knows how long it could last yet? The time for league complacency is gone. I'm not saying we should go gung ho to win it but we should at the least be aiming for a top three place.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

11th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Joe Mac

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼