Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Also, 4 or 5 lads around the country from last years u20 AI championship will make an impact on this years senior championship e.g. Adam Hogan, or Butler.

Since we won it last year and the outstanding player throughout was Mullins why wouldn’t he go and make an immediate impact at senior level. We need a corner back - Mullins for me. Ditto Cunningham. Why not? Other counties will have breakthrough players like this. It can feel like there’s an orderly queue in the cork panel at times.

Incredible negativity about a team picked for the first league game on the 4th of February.
You would think that it was picked for an All Ireland final on Sunday.
It seems that people want management to pick the strongest team but also play all the young lads which can't be done.
Missing tomorrow from the team that starts will be D. Cahalane, Downey, Millerick, Coleman and Robert Downey apart from the other young lads pushing for places.
Dara Fitzgibbon, Tim O Mahony, Luke Meade and Ethan Twomey are also to be considered for midfield as well as the two selected.

Alan Connolly, Seamus Harnedy, Declan Dalton , Shane Barrett will also come into the reckoning for the forwards as well as others.

That is practically an entire team not starting, why not wait and see how the players perform , a mixture of youth and experience with more of each on the bench.

When championship starts I expect the team will b very different but if even one or two of these young lads can put their hand up now for selection it will be a good day out.
Hit the nail on the head.

More or less 5 backs and 4 forwards that will be more or less be starting come championship yet fellas asking why SK, CK , PH, TOC, CJ, PC, ROF and SOD.
We can't drop everyone, it's a very balanced team between youth and experience.
The experienced players can give youth advice on the pitch as well, giving out that 7/8 of the starting 15 listed to are tried and tested is nonsense. Teams need balance.

The Quantum Physics Riddle that is Kingston & Lehane

- Every winter the same conundrum & debate
- Every preceding Summer, the last 2 most notably, has had Cork exiting with the 2 lads underperforming.
- I draw attention to the last 2 in particular (Galway in thurles & Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds) because I think the team overall has come up with a performance to see us through but the confidence just drains from the 2 lads at the wrong time and opportunities are missed, balls are dropped
- Other stuff has gone wrong of course but considering the talent of the two boys it stands out more
- Pat Ryan not looking at Kingston as he comes off the field in the Gaelic grounds

- So into the club championship we go and the 2 boys stand out a mile as top forwards in the county , perhaps only Hoggie & ROF better them. Lehane in particular is often the best forward in the club championship.
- Into preseason November we go and there are not 2 harder trainers than the 2 boys, they hit it hard & no doubt stand out a mile in the December games between the 50 odd lads on the extended panel
- Into the National League we go and they ‘pick themselves’ based on what the mgmt have been watching for the last 8 weeks, they are in top condition, and they provide experience to blend with youth.
- Contrary to much of the views here in the last 24 hours they will tend to play really well in the league, I’ve no doubt they’ll be flying on Sunday vs Clare.
- Contrary also to some of the views here, Conor can win any type of ball, he has a great paw (Kingston can’t catch a ball)… but Kingston is as strong as a bull and won’t be bullied by any big lads in the half back line there

- Here comes the mad part…
- Into championship we go, the 2 boys were in flying form in the league, make the championship team and go pretty well in the early rounds… but the same pressure comes in the big game and the confidence goes, they’re whipped off but the replacement hasn’t had the game time etc etc and then we’re all pissed off etc etc
- But maybe next year they say, the 2 boys are outstanding hurlers, unmark-able when on song, and they have huge resilience and determination to keep working hard at improving each year. Kingston in particular would have a lot of lads I know from other counties really worried that he could cut lose on them on a given day and have 2-2 got before you know it
- Schrodingers cat - open the box to find out
Their is no doubt that both Kingston and Lehane are very talented hurlers & some of us bad junior hurlers on the ditch commenting but they should be fighting for the same spot where Kingston plays the super sub role better and Cork will hopefully have some what similar Coleman & Fitgibbon in championship to pick from considering the physical balance may only let sub role to fight for. Lehane hasn't been consistently good in both club & county since about 2013 where he practically won county for Midleton scoring the best aggressive point I've seen of his MOM tally, in 21 he done well, but is way too inconsistent now for Cork when it matters & it makes no sence to keep giving him all the games. Kingston wasn't one of top club forwards in the county either last year if you watched them trounced by Imokilly or held to a score by hardworking Ger Millerick with a broken finger.

Hit the nail on the head.

More or less 5 backs and 4 forwards that will be more or less be starting come championship yet fellas asking why SK, CK , PH, TOC, CJ, PC, ROF and SOD.
We can't drop everyone, it's a very balanced team between youth and experience.
The experienced players can give youth advice on the pitch as well, giving out that 7/8 of the starting 15 listed to are tried and tested is nonsense. Teams need balance.
Agree. Have to mind the college lads too who are being pulled left and right with the various competitions so was obvious to see us rotate in some seasoned fellas who haven’t had college competitions to get games under the belt.

Ffs, the delusion of some. Kingston and Lehane are easily in our top 7/8 forwards. Probably top 6.

To give those breaking through the best chance of making it you need to surround them with our best talents. Example, No use in playing E Roche full back against Clare and putting in 2 newcomers alongside him. You can’t rate him on that. That would amplify the challenge Eoin would have and not give him the best chance of showing if he can perform/fit in.

Bottom line, our inexperienced lads need support and those with the experience are best to give it. We have a newcomer named in every line of the pitch l, exception of keeper. I’ll take that.

Last year our big gripe here post championship was that we never got a settled team by the end of the league. Too experimental. I like the look of the team and would love to see 2/3 of every starting team on the league being made up of our established lads who will play a part this year.

And before anyone asks what we are gonna learn about Hoggy this weekend, what’s the point in playing hun. We will learn the same as last year. What form he is in, what his fitness is looking like etc. the Limerick game in the league last year gave us great confidence he was firing well. It was a good decision to play him that day and it could be this weekend too.

Based on what? It
Couldn’t be intercounty championship hurling over the last few years

Based on what? It
Couldn’t be intercounty championship hurling over the last few years
Stick to the football
Granted yes they might not start all the games but if you think they're not top 7/8 or top 6 on a given day I'd love to see what matches your watching or who you'd have there over them?
Injuries have been an issue, nothing serious thank god but both have suffered niggles at end of league/start of championship and not fully fit.
It's between Kington/O Flynn who starts on championship and 1 is an impact off bench.
Lehane/Harnedy/Dalton then I think depending on tactics and selection.

Stick to the football
Granted yes they might not start all the games but if you think they're not top 7/8 or top 6 on a given day I'd love to see what matches your watching or who you'd have there over them?
Injuries have been an issue, nothing serious thank god but both have suffered niggles at end of league/start of championship and not fully fit.
It's between Kington/O Flynn who starts on championship and 1 is an impact off bench.
Lehane/Harnedy/Dalton then I think depending on tactics and selection.

What intercounty championship match have they performed in from the start?
Kingston has an impact sub role absolutely but no way a starter

Ffs, the delusion of some. Kingston and Lehane are easily in our top 7/8 forwards. Probably top 6.

To give those breaking through the best chance of making it you need to surround them with our best talents. Example, No use in playing E Roche full back against Clare and putting in 2 newcomers alongside him. You can’t rate him on that. That would amplify the challenge Eoin would have and not give him the best chance of showing if he can perform/fit in.

Bottom line, our inexperienced lads need support and those with the experience are best to give it. We have a newcomer named in every line of the pitch l, exception of keeper. I’ll take that.

Last year our big gripe here post championship was that we never got a settled team by the end of the league. Too experimental. I like the look of the team and would love to see 2/3 of every starting team on the league being made up of our established lads who will play a part this year.

And before anyone asks what we are gonna learn about Hoggy this weekend, what’s the point in playing hun. We will learn the same as last year. What form he is in, what his fitness is looking like etc. the Limerick game in the league last year gave us great confidence he was firing well. It was a good decision to play him that day and it could be this weekend too.

The Quantum Physics Riddle that is Kingston & Lehane

- Every winter the same conundrum & debate
- Every preceding Summer, the last 2 most notably, has had Cork exiting with the 2 lads underperforming.
- I draw attention to the last 2 in particular (Galway in thurles & Limerick in the Gaelic Grounds) because I think the team overall has come up with a performance to see us through but the confidence just drains from the 2 lads at the wrong time and opportunities are missed, balls are dropped
- Other stuff has gone wrong of course but considering the talent of the two boys it stands out more
- Pat Ryan not looking at Kingston as he comes off the field in the Gaelic grounds

- So into the club championship we go and the 2 boys stand out a mile as top forwards in the county , perhaps only Hoggie & ROF better them. Lehane in particular is often the best forward in the club championship.
- Into preseason November we go and there are not 2 harder trainers than the 2 boys, they hit it hard & no doubt stand out a mile in the December games between the 50 odd lads on the extended panel
- Into the National League we go and they ‘pick themselves’ based on what the mgmt have been watching for the last 8 weeks, they are in top condition, and they provide experience to blend with youth.
- Contrary to much of the views here in the last 24 hours they will tend to play really well in the league, I’ve no doubt they’ll be flying on Sunday vs Clare.
- Contrary also to some of the views here, Conor can win any type of ball, he has a great paw (Kingston can’t catch a ball)… but Kingston is as strong as a bull and won’t be bullied by any big lads in the half back line there

- Here comes the mad part…
- Into championship we go, the 2 boys were in flying form in the league, make the championship team and go pretty well in the early rounds… but the same pressure comes in the big game and the confidence goes, they’re whipped off but the replacement hasn’t had the game time etc etc and then we’re all pissed off etc etc
- But maybe next year they say, the 2 boys are outstanding hurlers, unmark-able when on song, and they have huge resilience and determination to keep working hard at improving each year. Kingston in particular would have a lot of lads I know from other counties really worried that he could cut lose on them on a given day and have 2-2 got before you know it
- Schrodingers cat - open the box to find out
Quantum Physics Riddel ?. wtf.....a little pretentious i think🤔. So two players can be singled out for Cork's failure and in only two games. I could think of at least 4 over the course of the championship.
I agree there's a level of inconsistencies there but every fuckin time some expert junior hurler wants to blame someone for Cork's problems, Kingston comes to mind. He's been one of our top hurlers for years,for club too, still a young man. Lehane likewise. Some tool here said he was inconsistent with Midleton ffs.he won two County's for them, got to finals,semifinals.
It's a team game ffs and their not robot's, stop with the individual bullshit. The buck stops with managers but they like to deflect it to anyone but themselves. Been happening for years..
At the end of the day, who gives a shit what we think. Just a thought 🙂

What intercounty championship match have they performed in from the start?
Kingston has an impact sub role absolutely but no way a starter
You didn't answer my question so I'm right to presume you agree that both are in the top 7/8 and can start on any given day?
On your impact sub point, if he's outscoring forwards who started and have played 40/50 minutes in space of 20/30 minutes or less why should he not start the next day.
Your performances get rewarded simple as.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Kinds Of Kindness (18)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 3:30pm

More events ▼