Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Well if you include a couple he took from our half he probably did.

It's the ones further in than the 65 at a good angle that you'd expect a decent intercounty free-taker would be putting over 90% of them unless he's having an off day.

Dalton has shown himself to be a very competent free-taker in big games imho. No harm to Hoggie but he's no longer the athlete he once was (unsurprising at 34) and I honestly think it would be better for the team and probably for Hoggie too if the longer frees and 65s were someone else's job.
Don’t understand the fascination with DD taking the frees, is it because it’s new and shiny - it’s really confusing and half the time DD/hoggy don’t know who is taking them. Hoggy is the highest scoring forward in the history of the championship, over 15/16 years consistently a great free taker, a couple of blips against Clare shouldn’t cloud our judgement- would take him off the penalties those - very hit/miss there

I said yesterday that B Byrnes has to be marked or he will get 5-6 points.We failed miserably to mark the Clare halfbacks i would suggest Millerick and Hayes for the job.

Who will pick up Hegarty and Lynch?

Not in form but we all know the class of these lads
I actually think Kiely is in a bit of a pickle with his forwards. The two lads have been poor all year and in the normal run of events you'd expect one to be dropped. However Peter Casey is going poorly as well and Graham Mulcahy's best days are behind him. The obvious solution is to bring Hayes up but he has been tearing it up wing-back and for me has been their best player this year. Taking him out of there would be a big risk.
While not as much of a guessing game as the Cork team the Limerick 15 might contain a surprise or two.

Who will pick up Hegarty and Lynch?

Not in form but we all know the class of these lads
This is a game where you could gamble on the two downeys really

Collins
O leary v O Neill cahalane v gillane
O donoghue Flanagan
R v morrissey Joyce v lynch e v hegarty

While that defence is fine ye are lacking 2 things

I
hard abrasive athletes in the middle who will never reach a point in the game where they are not relishing the contact

The same players being exceptional strikers from distance which forces limerick up the field 20ms leaving space inside

What cork might have though is some younger lads coming through with a bit of abrasiveness but it's too soon yet.

I will say one thing though.
Shane Kingston has not got a fair crack at it for me
The fact that harnedy and more so lehane are starting ahead of him makes no sense to me and maybe suggests there is an issue with the defenders in training games

I’d take him out of the firing line on Sunday and have him ready to come on midfield with 20 minutes to go. A player with a super aggressive attitude who didn’t have one of his better games last week but he was hung out to dry left on Kelly for so long
He was very poor v waterford , couldn't cope with Jack prendergast at all. How the management thought he would survive the clare forwards ability in the air I have no idea and he didn't

This is a game where you could gamble on the two downeys really

Collins
O leary v O Neill cahalane v gillane
O donoghue Flanagan
R v morrissey Joyce v lynch e v hegarty

While that defence is fine ye are lacking 2 things

I
hard abrasive athletes in the middle who will never reach a point in the game where they are not relishing the contact

The same players being exceptional strikers from distance which forces limerick up the field 20ms leaving space inside

What cork might have though is some younger lads coming through with a bit of abrasiveness but it's too soon yet.

I will say one thing though.
Shane Kingston has not got a fair crack at it for me
The fact that harnedy and more so lehane are starting ahead of him makes no sense to me and maybe suggests there is an issue with the defenders in training games

Yikes.... amazed how people can see the same thing so differently. Both Downey's , issue with Harnedy ? The beauty of the world I guess.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pat Fitz
Brick Lane, 1-3 South Main St.

10th Oct 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

Storytelling

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Tomorrow @ 8:30pm

More events ▼