Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Didn't play well but scored a goal and set up the other.

If every player who plays badly makes a contribution like that I will be happy enough.

I thought a lot of the long ball tonight was being played to Hoggie( who was excellent apart from the frees ) and Dalton was living on scraps.

For me Lehane and Beaus and were lost and to win with two non performing forwards is not bad.

O Callaghan, Downey , O Connell did really trolly well
BrianRoche improved as the game went on and given the age of Brian O Sullivan he did well also against a far more experienced midfield.
I agree with all that ultimately the team are miles of the finished product with so much talent and experience to come back in.

It wasn’t perfect but to come back and beat Limerick from 8 points down although well off their own high standards is positive.

Can’t expect everyone of the youngsters to come in a set the world on fire on the first competitive match.

In the past I've criticised him but in all fairness I thought DC had a really solid game tonight. Did the job, nothing silly or tentative and delivery was good. Fair is fair.
As I said earlier big Lehane fan but felt nothing went right for him, turned over a lot of ball , wasn't his night and might have been better off coming off.
It's league, it was Limerick......but you got the sense they wanted to lay down a marker second half which was no harm. Good bit of fight there.
Someone posted earlier about Limerick breaking tackles and having a runner off the shoulder and Cork breaking tackles and not - that's spot on - you'd get used to Fitz or Coleman doing it although Kingston made himself available once or twice.

On management - seem very centred, not carried away by any means and able to turn it around second half. Couldn't discern any game plan first half but half forward line dropped to mid 2nd half to contest made a huge difference.

I know its only league but jesus ill take any victory we can over that shower at the moment.

In goal I thought Collins did okay, I've been critical in the past but he done well with the short ones. Think the best of the best would have struggled going long with that half forward line to win possession.
I thought the full back line as a whole done well. O Callaghan and young Downey in particular. Loved the fact they took nothing off of Flanagan (who I know is a gobby fucker) and in particular young O'Brien (who's father is the most obnoxious of pricks). I'd like to think I'd be quite level headed with my posts but Flanagan blatantly nailed O'Callaghan in a 3rd man tackle off the ball tonight and all I'd say is he got a bad one himself I wouldn't begrudge it.

Thought Damien grew into the game, I've been very critical of him over the years but a man who's willing to die with the Jersey on like he does is hard to critisise. Done well on Hegarty.

Tommy I thought got better with each ball. A bit like Coleman he's a man you'd want on the ball with that bit of space to deliver into the full forwards. Wasn't at his best but couldn't be faulted either.

Joyce. I'd defend him to my last breath just like he would for this county. The jewel we should build around. Will wear that number 6 Jersey for the next 10 years minimum. Has a knack for getting the slightest of flicks in. I know he's prone for the long shot but he nailed one in the melting pot tonight. Can catch lightning and throw himself about. What more can we ask for a number 6.

O'Sullivan- a lot of lads were defending him for throwing himself about tonight. I've been a huge advocate for him over the last year and a bit but I was disappointed tonight. I really struggle to remember him getting on the ball. Coughlan sent him to the shops towards the end of the first half with the simplest of drops of shoulders for a point. Was very disappointed in him and wasn't surprised to see him go off but I know he's so much more to offer.

Meade. Gets an awful lot of criticism is here but I think the work load he goes through isn't appreciated enough. Won't go toe to toe with the likes of Will O Donoghue but fuck me he'll give it his all. So smart in possession, never really gives it away and is cute out around rucks.

Beausung. There'll be other days out for him bit the less said tonight the better. There's a step up from the co op league to the Allianz league and a bigger step up to championship again. Thought his pace would trouble limerick but I felt like he didn't want to know about it tonight.

Lehane. I really am a fan of him. And as a big fan of him I think it was hard to say was it bold or stupid of Pat to leave him on tonight. Got a point when it mattered most but missed so many chances, couldn't pick up his hurley at one stage let alone the ball. Everything went wrong for him tonight but I know for a fact if he gets a point within the first 5 minutes against any team he could shoot the lights out. Shouldn't be a confidence player at his age but he is what he is and I think he has a part to play.

Roche. Terrier. Lovely point in the first half. Won't let anyone get anything easy. Wasn't his best performance but I wouldn't want his best performance in the first week of February anyway. Has a role to play. Probably goes against the grain of what we've become used to in this county. Not flashy or wristy as most. Dogged and passionate. Exactly what we need.

Dalton. Another one I've been critical of in the past. People will say he scored one goal and set up another but I could have laid off that goal to Robbie. Wasn't at his best and he knows it himself. But if Every forward set up the equivalent of a 3 points and took 3 points we'd go a long way. Give him more time, more ball and the frees.

Horgan. Write this man off at your peril. 5 from play I believe although one was a bit selfish when a goal was on. Won his own ball and took his score. None of this "he's a free taker who needs it handed to him from play " shite. Was a thorn in Limericks side all night. Frees weren't the best. From play you couldn't fault him. Won frees of his own too.

Robbie. I'd honest to god have taken a fifteen point hammering over losing him of all players. The one forward I thought was nailed on to start. Scored a goal and created a goal. Some nice points from play. When he ran at them he caused problems as he always does. Absolutely sickened for him. I may come across as sceptical but I think we're going nowhere with out him. He's the epitomy of the off the shoulder player. Don't believe there's a player in the county who can replicate him. Maybe JOC but better suited to the corner. Was so happy to get the win tonight but had that sick feeling in my stomach that we've a mountain to climb without him

A good win when we looked to be wilting at half time. Couldn't give a monkeys if it was their camogie team we beat. I'll take a win over them any day of the week. Spirit and heart on display, didn't give an inch to the egos we faced. Rebels abu

It looks like Pat Ryan might be earmarking Damien to mark Hegarty . It has been rare that he has actually been selected at 7 in the past. The same will need to be applied to Gillane and I suppose that will be the Captains job. It is not to obsess over Limerick but the horses for courses selections are a good idea and something we have not had before. I liked Conor O Callaghan and I reckon Wayne Sherlock is having an influence. Eoin Downey was excellent. Agree everyone deserves a second chance in a league where outcomes are not critical so the poor performers up front should be judged as sum of parts.....we won the game . To be fair the injury could have taken the wind out of sails but it didnt. There was good onfield leadership around this time. I was not there so I cannot say but who was the talker with the captain off? Someone took the bull by the horns.

I hope it is less serious than it looked. Robbie O Flynn is a great bit of stuff, so solid under the ball and turns and goes. Now at a minimum he's ligaments are damaged. That's the league done for him but he can get back for Championship I hope. Midfield is the issue. For me Meade does serve a purpose but it isn't starting. Once O Donoghue is back for Limerick then he needs to be challenged physically which Meade is not equipped to do unfortunately. What I like about Joyce the most is his 100% commitment to any intervention. He ll suss a situation for a spot second and then go..its great

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

DJ Mossy

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 11pm

More events ▼