Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Cork GAA has not been well served in the past by airing dirty linen in public. He should do his talking on the field. And I hope he does.
I'd like to see the samples of dirty linen you refer to that were aired in public. My point is based on him being dropped without a better player to equal him primarily as a freetaker so then he is wrongly deprived of doing his 'talking on the field'. He simply hadn't the opportunity when he was wrongly dropped.

I admire Hoggy for speaking out, as I stated before there is too much ignoring of poor selectoral decisions in Cork. The only criticism I have of Hoggy is that he backtracked somewhat when he said that anyone who isn't playing thinks they're unfairly treated. Those who defend last years decision to drop him may receive some appreciation if Cork had another reputable inter-county free taker but that was not the case.
I thought he deserved to be dropped and wasn't treated unfairly.
However , what none of us know for sure is what was happening within the group , maybe there were other issues, other than playing, and he feels he was dropped for those rather than based on his performances.

Nobody has a guaranteed position and I don't think any player will be carried for frees this year.

Hoggy right to speak up. A few more of his teammates should have spoken up over the years. Cork lost an all ireland final by 20 pts in 2021 under a management who had no plan. Being given another year in charge annoyed the players as they knew it would be anoother year wasted. Tipp booted colm bonnar out after 12 months. No messing. Not good enough. Players spoke up internally.

Only brought them up because he spoke of last year being difficult and seemed to blame the management team last year. Given all the talk about him last summer he’d be better advised to keep his head down and say a little less.
Last year was difficult for us all, watching the shit show of the harlem Globetrotters in full swing. Imagine being on the panel putting up with that craic! Are the rumours to blame for everyone else’s failures too? Sweet Jesus

Hoggy right to speak up. A few more of his teammates should have spoken up over the years. Cork lost an all ireland final by 20 pts in 2021 under a management who had no plan. Being given another year in charge annoyed the players as they knew it would be anoother year wasted. Tipp booted colm bonnar out after 12 months. No messing. Not good enough. Players spoke up internally.
Let's wait and see how tipp do this year

Yep, he did: "everybody is supposed to be positive and everybody is supposed to be driving each other, exactly the way it’s happening now.
“When you have fellas training three, four or five times a week, giving it their all, the least they deserve is probably a bit of encouragement. That’s exactly what’s happening at the moment.
“Every fella is driving on, we’re getting a buzz off each other and a buzz off the positivity around the whole group. It’s a great place to go. When I go to work in the morning I’m thinking, ‘I can’t wait to go training tonight’, and that’s always a good place to be.”

And that too could have been the headline. But naturally it wouldn't get as much attention so it isn't.

Agree with the comment that Pat Ryan could use this to his advantage is he's cute enough - close ranks and get the spite up.
That line is what I really took from that interview, he’s being brutally honest about the set up last year and the comparisons with this years set up seem night and day. I don’t think he was whinging too much about being dropped either, just the way it was handled was in line with the goings on all year. That’s a harsh thing to say but it’s the truth

Petulant, disrespectful and ill advised.

He needs to get over himself. He deserved to be dropped after the games against Limerick and Clare. Mike Casey won motm after cleaning him out in the pairc and it was his first game in 2.5 years.

Not sure the interview reads well for the likes of Kingston and Connolly.

Petulant, disrespectful and ill advised.

He needs to get over himself. He deserved to be dropped after the games against Limerick and Clare. Mike Casey won motm after cleaning him out in the pairc and it was his first game in 2.5 years.

Not sure the interview reads well for the likes of Kingston and Connolly.
Should never have done it. When you're still in the dressing room you keep your mouth shut. Any issues past or present are discussed within the group. Plenty of time to write your autobiography afterwards.

You're comparing a management team that got to an All-Ireland final with one which didn't win a championship game last year?

I disagree. I like his honesty. Would you have preferred the same old tired interviews players give?

PR wont win or lose a match for them.
Seems players should be seen and not heard. Imagine if the players involved in the strike had taken that attitude, we would never have got the basic improvements in set ups that we have now.
Looks like it's okay for some players to call out faults and failings in management setups but not others, funny that.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jordan Mackampa

, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼