Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Crazy statement. McDonnell is a pivotal part of team. It's the likes of Damien Cahalane and Mark Ellis who are struggling. May come good, never know!

Cahalane was our best defender last year along with Coleman and you want rid? Thanks be the god the likes of you never get within an arses roar of selecting a Cork team

Team going forward:

Nash
Burke, Joyce, Spillane
McLoughlin, Browne, Coleman
Kearney, Fitzgibbon
Kingston, Brosnan/Cooper, Lehane
Cadogan, Harnedy, Hoggy

Burke couldn't make it last season and won't make it in 2018.
It may be Joyce dropping back or O Donoghue or Browne in the corner.

You may have rated McDonnell in 2017, I didn't.

It amazes me how fellas are so quick to stir the shit with reports from 'within the squad' about rumours and inuendos.Sad lives lads ye live.I'm sure ye're hoping that the present management fail,so ye can gloat and blame this person and that.If you go back towards the summer when the results were going our way and check out the comments on this thread,very few were applauding and giving them credit.So you'd wonder if fellas want them doing well.

It amazes me how fellas are so quick to stir the shit with reports from 'within the squad' about rumours and inuendos.Sad lives lads ye live.I'm sure ye're hoping that the present management fail,so ye can gloat and blame this person and that.If you go back towards the summer when the results were going our way and check out the comments on this thread,very few were applauding and giving them credit.So you'd wonder if fellas want them doing well.

Unfortunately you are spot on, there's an element out there that refuse to support our team 100%, most likely because of some beef they have with the board, they'd rather stir shit about the team to back up their stance against the board, rather than supporting the team despite their stance against the board. Christ, we probably all have issues with the board, that's the nature of things, but don't use the team as an issue to beat them with.
Take John Meyler as an example, he was a selector last year and recently appointed manager yet before he even put on the bainisteoir bib he was labelled a county board man, a Dinasour and an outsider, all because he put his head above the parapet and took on the job offered to him by Frank and the board. I know the guy personally and he's as knowledgeable organised and genuine a Cork Hurling man as you will find, that's no guarantee the guy will bring an all-ireland back to Leeside but let's at least constructively back him as long as he's there

Unfortunately you are spot on, there's an element out there that refuse to support our team 100%, most likely because of some beef they have with the board, they'd rather stir shit about the team to back up their stance against the board, rather than supporting the team despite their stance against the board. Christ, we probably all have issues with the board, that's the nature of things, but don't use the team as an issue to beat them with.
Take John Meyler as an example, he was a selector last year and recently appointed manager yet before he even put on the bainisteoir bib he was labelled a county board man, a Dinasour and an outsider, all because he put his head above the parapet and took on the job offered to him by Frank and the board. I know the guy personally and he's as knowledgeable organised and genuine a Cork Hurling man as you will find, that's no guarantee the guy will bring an all-ireland back to Leeside but let's at least constructively back him as long as he's there

I have to say I am happy with the Meyler appointment
Wrt McDonnell... well it’s tough I know but I can see where meyler is coming from ... Joyce should be breathing a sigh of relief in my opinion that side of our defence was open a bit imo. Look these guys give incredible commitment to the cause it’s not easy nor fair to a dropped player but it’s rhe way it has to be

I think McDonnell would be a big loss, and if he had been told he would be dropped that's a mistake by Meyler imo. Granted he had some shaky moments last year but was excellent on Austin Gleeson in the AI SF. Cork are a bit short of proven quality at corner back imo. Spillane had a promising first season but he's not there yet imo - he made a serious mistake in each championship game. He will hopefully develop into the top-class man-marker which the team badly needs, and deserves to keep his place. The other options either aren't very inspiring (Burke) or untried. Conor O'Sullivan could do a job there, but he seems to play much better as a free defender. So a big risk to jettison McDonnell.

D Cahalane shoud be left exactly where he is. FB has been a problem position for years, it finally looks likes its being nailed down. Madness to disrupt the defence again.
I would have been very happy to have Eoin Cadogan back on the panel a couple of years ago, but it looks a bit of a stretch now to see him challenging seriously for a starting position. I always thought CB was his natural position, and in theory he would be better suited to handle a very aggressive and physical centre-forward than Ellis, but you'd wonder if he'd have the speed for it. That'll be a problem wherever he could be used, except maybe at FB - but as I say, Cahalane should keep the number 3 jersey.

I have to say I am happy with the Meyler appointment
Wrt McDonnell... well it’s tough I know but I can see where meyler is coming from ... Joyce should be breathing a sigh of relief in my opinion that side of our defence was open a bit imo. Look these guys give incredible commitment to the cause it’s not easy nor fair to a dropped player but it’s rhe way it has to be
Tommy
Where do you see the point of Meyler bringing in certain players that haven't played hurling in years and drop Maccie.
Nothing is making sense at the moment and like I said a few times it's just a confusion based management at the moment. This is wrong and the Un21 appointment was wrong. It's total confusion and a mess.
Who is actually the Cork coach and who is the Un21 appointment as a selector.
What a joke and for any poster that disagrees give me optism and give us all hope. Last year we had All Ireland medal winners on the sideline and now we just seem to have a display of confusion.
Pat Mulcahy should have got the job this in turning into a joke before it starts. 2 players not exactly young that have played football are being considered before players.
I hope this is a big wind up.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Roamer
Triskel Arts Centre, Tobin St.

10th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jazz Improv! all players welcome

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼