Cork Club Championships

They should run a separate division colleges competition with the 4 semi finalists entering the championship the following year at the quarter final stage.
Then you would have only 4 q/f spots from 12 club teams. Running a separate comp the year before is a good idea though, gets around the rule but I would only let the winner in at q/f stage the following year (same as now)

Last edited:
i think its not fair to judge the new structures based on munster club championships. Given the discrepancies between counties effective structures might not necessilary ring through. From a club/player standpoint i think the structures are very enjoyable and a lot of even matches in the grades. another few years should see a further rebalancing of the levels of teams in each grade.
Spot on…

They should run a separate division colleges competition with the 4 semi finalists entering the championship the following year at the quarter final stage.
Not a chance. The divisional teams are woeful bar Imokilly in hurling and Duhallow in football.
3 of the 4 divisional teams would get hammered in a Prem Senior QF.

The interesting one on this is the rules advisory board putting pressure on cork to sort out their senior championship. They maintain there are 22 teams on it and the max allowed is 16. Cork got an extension to ‘23 and the CCB feel that the current setup is 12+1. If the rules advisory board disagree they can force the CCB to change
I read on the paper recently that CCB have made a very good move by playing the divisional/college’s competition separately and awarding a dedicated cup to the winner. I think it might be the Tom Creedon in football but I’m not certain on that. Only The winner then enters the Senior at QF stage. So now, a fella could play 10 years for his division but have zero appearances in the Cork county senior championship
The arguement is that this is the same as Junior A and Junior B championship.

The Rules advisory board say that divisional/colleges comp doesn’t matter. Every year on Jan 1 there are 22 teams with a chance of winning the champ and the max is 16

The Rules advisory board say that divisional/colleges comp doesn’t matter. Every year on Jan 1 there are 22 teams with a chance of winning the champ and the max is 16
Where do they say that? Can you post it here?
If your logic applies the county junior A championships in hurling and football are gone too as about 70 teams can win those

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pierce Turner
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

17th Oct 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

From Source To Sea

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼