cork airport to go (temporarily) BANG!

Aer Lingus seem to have (almost) abandoned Cork. The only flight they have to & from Cork these days is the Heathrow one.

I suspect that Willie Wash's departure from IAG will have adverse implications for Aer Lingus.
Look at it this way, Cork is the only Irish airport, other than Knock, that got a US service from an airline other than Aer Lingus.

I believe the management that run Aer Lingus are appointed by IAG, they serve their time there and then move onto their bigger airlines.

They are concentrating on feeding routes into Dumplin for their US connections from there, so using pre clearance to their max advantage.

They have given up Amsterdam and Paris CDG out of Cork, both KLM and AF are picking up the slack while a sister IAG company, Vueling is operating a weekly service to Paris Orly.

From what I hear Aer Lingus have also got rid of a load of staff up there in recent years.
The more new airlines come in the better. It must be about 15 years since Aer Lingus launched a new route out of Cork that interested me. They used to have some good city break destinations back in the 00s. Rome, Berlin, Prague etc
I see Ryanair started a Cologne flight from Knock. They've put on some good routes out of Cork in recent years. Most are basically holiday routes. But to more interesting spots like Italy and the South of France. They do seem to have a blind spot when it comes to Germany out of Cork for some reason. Up until the pandemic they even had two German destinations out of Kerry.

Ryanair have taken over the former Stobart routes from Cork - Manchester, Birmingham & Edinburgh. And continuing with the Liverpool run. Which is good - the 737 is more comfortable (& faster) than the ATRs of Stobart. & lower fares (so far).
But Cork would want to be careful about becoming over reliant on the bould Mick.
As others have said, the more airlines, the better.

Ryanair have taken over the former Stobart routes from Cork - Manchester, Birmingham & Edinburgh. And continuing with the Liverpool run. Which is good - the 737 is more comfortable (& faster) than the ATRs of Stobart. & lower fares (so far).
But Cork would want to be careful about becoming over reliant on the bould Mick.
As others have said, the more airlines, the better.
You are bang on about Cork becoming reliant on Ryanair, many geniuses on here suggested handing over the old terminal to Ryanair a few years ago.

Imagine what would have happened, Cork would be a pity just like Shannon.

You are bang on about Cork becoming reliant on Ryanair, many geniuses on here suggested handing over the old terminal to Ryanair a few years ago.

Imagine what would have happened, Cork would be a pity just like Shannon.
Mickey wanted to run the old terminal don’t see any problem in competing terminals in an airport. Happens everywhere.

The winner is the consumer.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..

Tim Mullane

The Welcome Inn, Today @ 10:30pm

More events ▼