Car Question

This is aimed at anyone who knows anything about car engines..

Anyone ever hear of engine oil getting into the air filters? somehow one of the air filters has sucked in a load of oil and its dripping from the underneath of my car? anyone have any idea how its happening?

oil completely in your filter or just one spot on your filter? Is it an old car , could be your carbs are gone - if a newer car you've blown at least one piston, or else it could be a faulty PCV hose.

Hang_Sandwich said:
oil completely in your filter or just one spot on your filter? Is it an old car , could be your carbs are gone - if a newer car you've blown at least one piston, or else it could be a faulty PCV hose.

you the the way theres 2 filters, only one of them was covered in oil?

what are carbs? :) its a 02 car.

##linda## said:
you the the way theres 2 filters, only one of them was covered in oil?

what are carbs? :) its a 02 car.

what make of car - you'll either have fuel injection or carborators(sp)

depends on the car as to the filters for example my car has one air filter however if will have a spongey filter further in the system that the filter for the PCV

##linda## said:
This is aimed at anyone who knows anything about car engines..

Anyone ever hear of engine oil getting into the air filters? somehow one of the air filters has sucked in a load of oil and its dripping from the underneath of my car? anyone have any idea how its happening?

Hi,
Oil in the air filter is usually a sign of a worn engine, compression leaks past the piston rings, down into the sump, into the sump ventilation system and then back into the air filter housing carrying some oil with it, the idea being to recycle the gasses back into the engine. A quick and dirty solution is to reroute the breather hose into a seperate container to catch the oil, that way your air filter stays nice and oil free, any mechanic could do it. Just don't tell anyone in the EPA...

DannyBuoy said:
Hi,
Oil in the air filter is usually a sign of a worn engine, compression leaks past the piston rings, down into the sump, into the sump ventilation system and then back into the air filter housing carrying some oil with it, the idea being to recycle the gasses back into the engine. A quick and dirty solution is to reroute the breather hose into a seperate container to catch the oil, that way your air filter stays nice and oil free, any mechanic could do it. Just don't tell anyone in the EPA...

sure jaysus the engine is hardly worn, its only 4 years old. its a 02 seat ibiza 1 litre.

Theres oil all over most of the lower engine so i dont think its travelling internally if u get me?

In that case it looks like you need to establish where that oil is coming from, have you a seperate leak? A good engine wash and then some checking should tell you. However a leak would not cause your problem with oil in the air filter, this should be one of highest places in the engine bay and the leak travels down. Some engine breathing is normal, if its excessive you get oil in the air filter.

DannyBuoy said:
In that case it looks like you need to establish where that oil is coming from, have you a seperate leak? A good engine wash and then some checking should tell you. However a leak would not cause your problem with oil in the air filter, this should be one of highest places in the engine bay and the leak travels down. Some engine breathing is normal, if its excessive you get oil in the air filter.

I reckon the pistons are gone - do you drive it hard ? do you get it serviced regularly?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Comedy Cavern: Comedy Cavern Showcase

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼