Can't play online with PS3

Hi lads, looking for some help here. Finally went online with the old PS3 just before xmas as the young fella wanted to play certain multiplayer games. However, whilst I can surf the net, connect to servers like EAservers, connect to the Playstation store and indeed download content from it, I don't seem to be able to get things up and running from a multiplayer/online point of view. The games he was interested in were Minecraft and PVZ2 Garden Warfare. In both cases we can't join games. In the case of Minecraft there are none available and with PVZ2 we connect to EAserver, we look and find games server but we are unable to connect every time. I've re-done the network settings as advised but to no avail. I'm connecting via a wireless Eircom modem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had this trouble years ago, something to do with NAT type and enabling UPnP on router and PS3, check your settings, this from t'internet......

NAT Type 2 status under the PS3 "Internet Test" means the PS3 is being granted access to all the PSN & SCEA ports.
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/241/kw/psn ports

Third party game servers make use of extra ports. If you have set port-forwarding then it is up to you to find the ports used by said game & reflect them under your router settings.

Port-forwarding, while easy, is complicated to explain for just about every router interface does them differently. It is up to you to read up your router's documentation.

With that said, enabling UPnP on both, your router & PS3 system, will help deal with this kind of inconvenience. UPnP is a protocol that allows for your Router & PS3 to negotiate ports as they are needed.

Last edited:
I had this trouble years ago, something to do with NAT type and enabling UPnP on router and PS3, check your settings, this from t'internet......

NAT Type 2 status under the PS3 "Internet Test" means the PS3 is being granted access to all the PSN & SCEA ports.
https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/241/kw/psn ports

Third party game servers make use of extra ports. If you have set port-forwarding then it is up to you to find the ports used by said game & reflect them under your router settings.

Port-forwarding, while easy, is complicated to explain for just about every router interface does them differently. It is up to you to read up your router's documentation.

With that said, enabling UPnP on both, your router & PS3 system, will help deal with this kind of inconvenience. UPnP is a protocol that allows for your Router & PS3 to negotiate ports as they are needed.

Thanks a million for the reply BP. Got a brainfart on the way home from work just now and decide to try one of my call of duty games. Low and behold I can multiplayer on COD2!!! Turns out that there's no Minecraft server for PS3 so you can only Multiplayer via Friends!!! As for PVZ2, I still can't get that fxxxing thing going!! been on ea help site and still nothing. When I select game to join, I get ' looking for really great game session'………. then 'Found a really great server! Please wait while joining' and then I get 'Unable to join a session. Please check your network connection and try again'. Infuriating to say the least, but again I really appreciate the response.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼