Brian Cox reckons we're all alone lads...

We are alone in the universe: Professor Brian Cox says alien life is all but impossible and humanity is 'unique'

Presenter makes bold claim during BBC documentary
He says the spark of life on earth billions of years ago was a fluke
'We still struggle to understand what happened. It's incredibly unusual'

The biological process which lead to intelligent life on earth was a fluke that is unlikely to have been repeated anywhere else in the universe, claims Professor Brian Cox.

The presenter and scientist blames a series of 'evolutionary bottlenecks' for the lack of extraterrestrial life on other planets, despite there being a mind-bogglingly vast number of them in the galaxy.

Humanity miraculously overcame them in a chance binding of two single cells merging somewhere in the mists of time, he said.

'There is only one advanced technological civilisation in this galaxy and there has only ever been one - and that's us. We are unique.

'It's a dizzying thought. There are billions of planets out there, surely there must have been a second genesis?

'But we must be careful because the story of life on this planet shows that the transition from single-celled life to complex life may not have been inevitable.'

He made the claims in an episode of BBC's Human Universe, adding that yet another freak occurrence - the meteor which wiped out the dinosaurs - allowed mammals and ultimately humanity to dominate the planet.

On the subject of the genesis of complex life, he added: 'We still struggle to understand how this happened. It's incredibly unusual.

'We're confident this only happened once in the oceans of the primordial earth. Life here did squeeze through.'

Professor-Brian-Cox-008.jpg

I always thought that the overwhelming likely hood is we are not alone, given the infinite nature of the universe.
Anyone know what he's basing this theory on?

I always thought that the overwhelming likely hood is we are not alone, given the infinite nature of the universe.

You're right, the universe is so incredibly big that there pretty much HAS TO BE other life there, if it's intelligent or if we'll ever meet them are different issues though. Be interesting to see if they find anything on that comet this week... I mean up until recently enough, the wisdom was no life could survive in space... then we found out water bears could.

So pans permia is quite possible. I mean there's a chance these boys were ejected on a meteorite impact on earth and are now out there in the cosmos, multiplying away on some distant planet or moon.

You're right, the universe is so incredibly big that there pretty much HAS TO BE other life there, if it's intelligent or if we'll ever meet them are different issues though. Be interesting to see if they find anything on that comet this week... I mean up until recently enough, the wisdom was no life could survive in space... then we found out water bears could.

So pans permia is quite possible. I mean there's a chance these boys were ejected on a meteorite impact on earth and are now out there in the cosmos, multiplying away on some distant planet or moon.

Tardigrades are friggin awsome.

We are all aliens.... Quite the ironing.

Fuck knows, I haven't watched it yet. Self replicating proteins is an amazing thing to have happened just by fluke but when you look at the Hubble deep field it's very hard to believe that we're in any way special.

abstract-hubble-finds-dark-matter-ring-in-galaxy-cluster-hubble-wallpaper-for-desktop.jpg

I think they might have left out the preceding "For all we know".

Otherwise, that's a very stupid statement. I don't think I've seen that episode of it yet, but again, what about the Drake Equation? there are so many potentially habitable planets in the galaxy, the chances are any definitive statement is foolish at best.

Sure, there's a decent chance a gamma ray burst could have wiped us out, and being in a reasonably quiet corner of the universe, the chances are less than for many other bits, but that's just another factor in the equation.

Fodder for the flat earthers, unfortunately.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Hank Wedel
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

13th Sep 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Funny Fridays Special

City Limits, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼