Blatter wants alternative to penalty shootouts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18205513

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has asked Bayern Munich honorary president Franz Beckenbauer to come up with an alternative to the "tragedy" of penalty shoot-outs.
Beckenbauer is head of the Football Task Force 2014, a group designed to recommend rule changes.
"Football can be a tragedy when you go to penalty kicks," Blatter said.
"Football should not go to one to one, when it goes to penalty kicks football loses its essence."
He added: "Perhaps Franz Beckenbauer with his football 2014 group can show us a solution, perhaps not today but in the future."
The Champions League final was decided on penalties this season , with Chelsea winning after Bayern Munich dominated the game. It was the 10th time that the European Cup final has gone to a shoot-out.
Zambia also won a major cup in a penalty shoot-out this season, beating Ivory Coast for the Africa Cup of Nations .
The World Cup final has twice been decided on penalties, with Brazil beating Italy in 1994 and Italy seeing off France in 2006.

Clearly rattled by Chelsea winning the CL (possibly a closet Manyooer? Who knows).

Anyway, I remember watching an interview with Cruyff about the NASL back in the day where he spoke about their shootout system. It was a bit like the way they take penalties in ice hockey. You start half way between the half way line and the penalty area and go one on one with the keeper. You have five seconds to get a shot off.

Cruyff said he absolutely loved it. It looks way better than the current system from a spectator's point of view and rewards skill more than luck. It could also get hilarious if it gets to the stage where keepers, centre backs, Jordan Henderson etc might have to take one.

I presume this is one of the solutions Beckenbauer will look into given that he played in the US himself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18205513

Clearly rattled by Chelsea winning the CL (possibly a closet Manyooer? Who knows).

Anyway, I remember watching an interview with Cruyff about the NASL back in the day where he spoke about their shootout system. It was a bit like the way they take penalties in ice hockey. You start half way between the half way line and the penalty area and go one on one with the keeper. You have five seconds to get a shot off.

Cruyff said he absolutely loved it. It looks way better than the current system from a spectator's point of view and rewards skill more than luck. It could also get hilarious if it gets to the stage where keepers, centre backs, Jordan Henderson etc might have to take one.

I presume this is one of the solutions Beckenbauer will look into given that he played in the US himself.

What happens if the keeper fouls the taker?

Penalty shoot outs are a lottery.

Nothing to do with skill, composure, technique, studying and reading the opposition, staying calm under pressure etc.

Penalty shoot outs are a lottery.

Nothing to do with skill, composure, technique, studying and reading the opposition, staying calm under pressure etc.

A lot of it is also whether the keeper guesses right tbf. I know that sometimes falls under the heading of studying and reading the opposition, but a lot of the time it's just taking a punt.

A lot of it is also whether the keeper guesses right tbf. I know that sometimes falls under the heading of studying and reading the opposition, but a lot of the time it's just taking a punt.

Depends on the keeper. Cech researched the last few years of Bayern penalties before the CL final.

Mikel told Robben as he was about to take the penalty in extra time that "Petr Cech knows where you are going to put this"

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pat Fitz
Brick Lane, 1-3 South Main St.

31st Oct 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

The Dolls House

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 11am

More events ▼