Black Sun/Plugd -SAT16th With Lumps, Woven Skull & more

Black Sun/Plugd -SAT16th With Lumps, Woven Skull & more

150310_134682306586616_2754359_n.jpg

Hullo all!

This will be the final Black Sun music-event in Cork, for the foreseeable future at least. Those keeping an eye on us last week will have seen the news that we're teaming up with the Triskel Arts Centre to continue our programming of experimental cinema. If you live in Ireland, please take a minute to check out our first programme! We're as proud as anything to be presenting day-long events devoted exclusively to experimental cinema at Triskel Christchurch.

Gigs-wise, it's time to take a rest I think. Emigration looks like a possibility and I'm determined to get the most out of my time here while I have it. If we remain in Cork after the winter, then I'd like to set about about working on something annually rather than a sporadic series of events.

Love and thanks to everyone who's ever played at a Black Sun, Irish or International.

Massive thanks for their kindness and generosity: David Murphy, Paul Hegarty, Max Le Cain, Kevin Kennedy, Albert and Jim (Plugd Records), Rachel Warriner and James Cummins (SoundEye), Sharon McCarthy and Kevin Tuohy (ArtTrail), Mick O' Shea & Irene Murphy (The Guesthouse), Janice and the rest of the staff at the Pavilion, Tony McCleane Fay (Granary Theatre), Bertrand Perennes (Camden Palace Hotel), The Triskel Arts Centre, Holly Burgess, Paula Larkin of Sugar Moon Vegan Cakes, Aoife Barry, Declan Synnott, John Byrne, the Sacred Harp Singers of Cork, Patricia Klich, Andy Ferreira, Marcin Lewandowski, Tanja Warkentin, Bernard Clarke, Conor O' Toole, Michael Carr, Stephen Graham, Brian Hayes Curtin, Mike McGrath-Bryan, Gary Meyler, Graham Lynch and Eoin Bold Lump and everyone who's ever come along to a show.

Most of all, I'd like to thank my daughter for putting up with me spending hours of our time together over the past three years hunched over a laptop or on a phone sending emails, for her patience as I pushed her around town in a buggy, sticking up posters in the pissing rain, for giving up her bedroom so many times so that mysterious, friendly strangers could sleep deep surrounded by Moomin and Foxins and all the lads. Sionnach, I owe you big time. x

- - - - - - - - - - - -
animationfritz.gif

Now! For our last proper gig!
Black Sun presents: WITH LUMPS, Woven Skull, Aonghus McEvoy, Divil A' Bit
Plugd Records
10pm - 12.30am
7 lumping euros

neil_davidson_3_sarah_tripp.jpg

l.jpg

WITH LUMPS
With Lumps is a duo of Fritz Welch and Neil Davidson chundering forth fetid sci-fi with quivering robot skins both mildewed and expansive. Their other group work includes Peeesseye, Asparagus Piss Raindrop, Aporias Trio, Muris, Brittle Hammer Trio, Glasgow Improvisers Orchestra, Age of Wire & String and FvRTvR. Neil (guitar) is from the Borders and Fritz (drums, objects, voice) is from Texas. They live in Glasgow.

http://www.neildavidson.org.uk/
http://humansacrifice.net/

Last edited:
3060973966-1.jpg

WOVEN SKULL

Woven Skull formed in 2008 and are based in Co. Leitrim, consisting of core members Natalia, Aonghus and Willie, and occasional guests. Their mostly acoustic, recurrent, and resonant sounds and structures are inspired by the woods and bogs that surround them.

"...reminiscent of the pastoral side of Faust, Amon Düül or Ghost (Jpn), but with an aggressively minimalist and repetitive slant. At times it could pass for an unusually focused '60s commune jam. Elsewhere the impression is of something far more and ancient and ritualistic. Mesmeric, mantric and mysterious."
-Fort Evil Fruit on Moods of the Hill People cassette.
http://wovenskull.bandcamp.com/

AONGHUS MCEVOY feat. members of Wölfbait & Patrick Kelleher and His Cold Dead Hands.

Trashed Psychedelic Improvisations.

5407123521_a8f844fcd9.jpg

Raising+Holy+Sparks+January+2011.jpg

DIVIL A' BIT
Debut of brand new collaboration from Dave Colohan (Raising Holy Sparks, Agitated Radio Sparks) and Natalia Beylis (Woven Skull, The Creaking Willow String Band)!! Mischievious drones of the barren mountain created on traditional instruments.

we've been talking about having fritz over to do some shows pretty much since black sun started. big fan of everything i've seen him do, from improv to head-scratching outness (e.g. 'pee in my face with surgery' ... great name!) to the more structured 'peeesseye' stuff. pretty different to the 'with lumps' stuff but i reckon a lot of folks here would really dig 'peeesseye'. some 'peeesseye' youtubes ...

two very good 'with lumps' reviews here ...

12withlumps.jpg

With Lumps
RECYCLED LIBRARY
No Label CDR

peeesseye percussionist and junk sculptor Fritz Welch is now based in Glasgow, where he's teamed up with local guitar hero Neil Davidson for two slabs of teeth-grinding improv as rough and ready as the recycled cardboard cover they come in. There's a Chadbournesque playfulness to such cottage industry packaging, but there's little of Dr Eugene's wacko fun in the music, which is tough, often ugly stuff, the aural equivalent of a Brillo Pad. Fibre rich and filling, but lumpy. Like porridge.–Dan Warburton

http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine/monthly2011/12dec_text.html

and a bit of a more in-depth review here ... http://www.thewatchfulear.com/?p=5238

really looking forward to saturday night. if it turns out to be the last black sun music event then i think it's a very fitting way to draw the whole thing to a close. if anyone's in dublin or belfast, fritz and neil are also playing belfast on friday and dublin on sunday. more details here and here respectively

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Brewhouse Jazz

Franciscan Well Brew Pub, Tomorrow @ 6:30pm

More events ▼