Become a Blood Donor

SoundMan

OK I may not be everybody's cup of tea here but can I ask that you suspend your antipathy for me for a moment and, if you're reasonably healthy and under 65 (presumably most or even all here), you'd give serious consideration to becoming a Blood Donor. The Irish stocks of blood reserves are much lower than their usual requirements at the moment so the Irish Blood Transfusion Service are appealing for new donors.

It's a relatively simple procedure to donate blood, you're not adversely affected by it, and it is of immeasurable help to others.

It also has the benefit that should you require a blood transfusion at any stage in the future should you unfortunately be involved in an accident, it would be free gratis and for nothing.

I know volunteerism can be in pretty short supply these days but you genuinely do get a mental lift knowing that you've helped others.

I couldn't recommend it enough.

They have mobile blood donation clinics on the go. Their website might list out where they are heading to. Really worthwhile.

Also they do look for platelet donors and bone marrow donors. Lots of info on giveblood.ie

My Mrs gives blood regularly and It would be great if more people did so,unfortunately I can't give blood anymore since I'm on blood thinners because of a valve transplant a few years back but it is a noble thing to do.

OK I may not be everybody's cup of tea here but can I ask that you suspend your antipathy for me for a moment and, if you're reasonably healthy and under 65 (presumably most or even all here), you'd give serious consideration to becoming a Blood Donor. The Irish stocks of blood reserves are much lower than their usual requirements at the moment so the Irish Blood Transfusion Service are appealing for new donors.

It's a relatively simple procedure to donate blood, you're not adversely affected by it, and it is of immeasurable help to others.

It also has the benefit that should you require a blood transfusion at any stage in the future should you unfortunately be involved in an accident, it would be free gratis and for nothing.

I know volunteerism can be in pretty short supply these days but you genuinely do get a mental lift knowing that you've helped others.

I couldn't recommend it enough.
Over 65 by a bit but my family do it every year...great idea
Long long time ago when you donated you got a bottle of stout...who remembers that?

What's the process?
Do you fill in stuff on line or do you go to St. Finbarr's in person to speak with someone?

If there's no mobile clinic coming to a village, company, near you then you can turn up at St Finbarrs Hospital - the clinic is in, down the hill, veer left and it's a prefab bungalo on the right.

The initial donation does require a bit of form filling alright, and if you've been on antibiotics or taking tablets you need to leave a gap of about 3 months I think. But the staff there are extremely friendly and helpful.

Excluding the paperwork it only takes about 20 minutes, and then they encourage you to have a drink of something sweet (cuppa/mineral) - back in the old days in Leitrim Street it used be glasses of porter :) - and a biccie or two and that's you done.

You can phone ahead on (021) 480 7400 but they're usually open after work til about 7:30 I think

Over 65 by a bit but my family do it every year...great idea
Long long time ago when you donated you got a bottle of stout...who remembers that?
The bottle of stout is what got me going years ago when I was a student.
Got presented with a pelican thingy from the lovely Sharon Ní Bheoláin and all.
On aspirin for the last few years so they won't take it anymore 😞

It's a very good thing to do IMHO.

Supposedly my blood is "iNfEcTeD wItH tHe TaInT oF uNcLeAn ThInGs FrOm BeFoRe ReCoRdEd HiStOrY".

giphy.gif

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

8th May 2024 @ 4:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼