Batsh*t Crazy Green Party

As i have been saying and I take a more nuanced approach to the Ukraine war what Europe needs to do is get off oil and gas and move onto renewable energy, good for the Planet, good for Ukraine too, the sooner we rely less on fossil fuels the less likely we will be beholden to Putin.
“more nuanced” than who?

As i have been saying and I take a more nuanced approach to the Ukraine war what Europe needs to do is get off oil and gas and move onto renewable energy, good for the Planet, good for Ukraine too, the sooner we rely less on fossil fuels the less likely we will be beholden to Putin.

But we've been just talking about it for decades now. In Ireland we've had working solar-power and wind-power research for well over 3 decades now and there has been precious little done about actually scaling it and making it a viable cost-effective and plentiful source of power in Ireland. Yeah you see the occasional PV array, though they're primarily on new builds and frequently just to tick a grant box, and you see the occasional private wind-generator but we've had the Irish Green Party in government twice in the last 10 years and there's been very little done about it. Plenty done about cars, initially the Irish Greens had everybody buying big diesel cars but now just a few years on they finally see that was a huge mistake. Their latest is to try get everybody out of petrol/diesel cars and into electric cars. Still not convinced that they're a viable alternative at the moment tbh.

Eamon Ryan was on the radio this morning - gawd his voice is soporific.

He's the Minister for Transport yet the buffoon went on and on about THE airport, as though there's only one in the country. I know he thinks beyond the M50 needs rewilding with wolves and possibly bears eventually but that clown is so dublin-centric that despite being the Minister for Transport for this state, he seems to think there's only one airport :rolleyes:

Poor Zero insists on spamming. It's the only defense of the Irish Greens that he's got at this stage. I bet at this stage you're not even cultivating lettuce in your south facing windowbox are you :cool:

Eamon Ryan was on the radio this morning - gawd his voice is soporific.

He's the Minister for Transport yet the buffoon went on and on about THE airport, as though there's only one in the country. I know he thinks beyond the M50 needs rewilding with wolves and possibly bears eventually but that clown is so dublin-centric that despite being the Minister for Transport for this state, he seems to think there's only one airport :rolleyes:

Happily, I didn't hear that.

He loves trains. Here's a tip: you can fly to Faro direct from Cork with Ryanair, and then you can get a train from Faro to Lisbon for about €15.

And if you're going to Berlin, you can fly to Poznan direct from Cork with Ryanair and then get a high speed train to Berlin.

Sometimes people assume that if you get a three hour bus trip to the black hole of Calcutta, sorry, Dublin "Airport," and queue for four hours in the squalid rubbish infested kip, and then fly to Lisbon, it's somehow more "direct."

It's best at this stage to just forget that shithole and do your train or bus connections in the country you are going to, It's much cleaner, faster, and cheaper.

Happily, I didn't hear that.

He loves trains. Here's a tip: you can fly to Faro direct from Cork with Ryanair, and then you can get a train from Faro to Lisbon for about €15.

And if you're going to Berlin, you can fly to Poznan direct from Cork with Ryanair and then get a high speed train to Berlin.

Sometimes people assume that if you get a three hour bus trip to the black hole of Calcutta, sorry, Dublin "Airport," and queue for four hours in the squalid rubbish infested kip, and then fly to Lisbon, it's somehow more "direct."

It's best at this stage to just forget that shithole and do your train or bus connections in the country you are going to, It's much cleaner, faster, and cheaper.

Numerous airport threads 👉

But we've been just talking about it for decades now. In Ireland we've had working solar-power and wind-power research for well over 3 decades now and there has been precious little done about actually scaling it and making it a viable cost-effective and plentiful source of power in Ireland. Yeah you see the occasional PV array, though they're primarily on new builds and frequently just to tick a grant box, and you see the occasional private wind-generator but we've had the Irish Green Party in government twice in the last 10 years and there's been very little done about it. Plenty done about cars, initially the Irish Greens had everybody buying big diesel cars but now just a few years on they finally see that was a huge mistake. Their latest is to try get everybody out of petrol/diesel cars and into electric cars. Still not convinced that they're a viable alternative at the moment tbh.
Some of what you say is true. Lots isn't. Ireland is in the top ten countries in the world for renewables' share of power generation. To say that solar has been a viable option for 30 years is nonsense. Practical solar PV (for Ireland) is only about ten years old.

Where you're correct is that we haven't really come close to achieving what we could. Planning is a huge issue there, not the green party. Our planning system is awful. The time it takes to get planning permission for wind farms pretty much guarantees that we will not make our climate targets. There's no big picture understanding with planners. Everything is defined by regs and zoning. That's not their fault, but zoning is finalised by local representatives who have no expertise and often go against the advice of those who do. On top of that, we have an ineffective Bórd Pleanala, and an appeals process that allows anyone submit an appeal, for any reason, and that has to be responded to. Some of them are only interested in catching out the planning authorities on minutiae, and believe that by doing that, they are doing a public good. Again, there's no big picture view. It's like some sailor on the titanic saying it's against company policy to change course without notifying head office.

And you're blaming the green party for all of this? Get off the stage.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

15th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Underground Loft: Open Mic Poetry & Storytelling

Triskel Arts Centre, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼