Appalling Sound in St. Lukes funded by City Hall

Never been to a gig at LASL. Unfortunately, there's never been anything on in there that's appealed to me. Maybe I'm wrong, but It looks like a lot of what's in there is geared towards the casual music fan. But good luck to them.

Cork could do with a decent 150 to 200 capacity venue for smaller indie/underground acts and new local talent. It's a shame The Kino didn't remain a venue.
Was also at a gig in The Pav recently. The first time in there for about 10 or more years.
Your spot on about that, Not sure if you’ve ever been to Connellys in Leap it’s by far and away the best venue in Cork and one of the best small venues in Ireland.

It has a customer built Hackett Sound system which is incredible.

Unreal food aswell

Seems we all agree about The Kino. That place was Acoustically treated, albeit as a Cinema. Great Acoustics are necessary for a Great Venue.
I haven't been to Connollys in years, since playing gigs there. But I have been asked to Consult on Acoustic Matters there so looking forward to that.

I have to agree DanDan. I have been to a couple of gigs in St. Luke's. Damien Dempsey in particular was very poor sound wise. It was December 2017 I think and venue was new-ish so I thought things might improve. Like a school gym or a swimming pool however , it is hard to see how that big cavernous space can have perfect sound.

Have been to Saint Lukes at least 12 times, over the years, and was always in the first 8 rows from the front, centrally located at, or near the centre aisle, for all but 2, for those, a little further back maybe row 20, for the other 2, i never had any sound issues, all music styles, Martin Hayes, Mercury Rev, Talos, Little Green Cars, Bellx1, Efterklang and more.

I would imagine it is very tricky getting the sound right, at the back and sides, which is why i always get in early, as it is general admission, for a good central spot. You snooze you loose.

I have to agree DanDan. I have been to a couple of gigs in St. Luke's. Damien Dempsey in particular was very poor sound wise. It was December 2017 I think and venue was new-ish so I thought things might improve. Like a school gym or a swimming pool however , it is hard to see how that big cavernous space can have perfect sound.
I was at a Damo gig there too. Didn't stay because I couldn't make out a word being sung or said. The venue can't improve without vast Acoustic Treatment which would be vast and probably not acceptable visually. The Kino was Acoustically Treated. Cyprus was, by me. The Everyman was designed as a Cinema "The Room with Perfect Sound" was a slogan on the original Fire Curtain. The Opera House was designed for purpose. The PA systems in use in St. Lukes may be tweaked to some extent. But really, Churches like this were meant to add vast amounts of sustain to voice and organ. Lack of clarity just adds to the mysterious and awe inspiring Old Latin, or Old Irish priest blather.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Earlier Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

8th Jun 2024 @ 6:30 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼