Advise on car accident etiquette

Should i ring him

• No its up to him to contact you.

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Yes ring him, at least you'll know then.

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tube is right, you can skirt around the issue and say you could come to some arrangement, but never admit you are liable. Virtually every insurance policy has a clause about liablity. Admit it was your fault and the insurance company can refuse to cover you (they will be unable to fight it in court). Linda never said she admitted she was liable to him though, just to us.

Report it to a Garda Station assuming you have his details, so that if the guy comes back claiming from you for whiplash in 3 months you will be covered.

P.S. Don't mention anything about the tunnel sinking, it won't help :)

wingnut said:
Tube is right, you can skirt around the issue and say you could come to some arrangement, but never admit you are liable. Virtually every insurance policy has a clause about liablity. Admit it was your fault and the insurance company can refuse to cover you (they will be unable to fight it in court). Linda never said she admitted she was liable to him though, just to us.
as far as I know it does not matter if she admitted to be liable to him at the scene and even if you sign anything to say you were liable it does not count because you are acting under stress. If the gards were not called then who is to say you were completely at fault

oops ##Linda##! you left out 1 poll option.

1. No its up to him to contact you.
2.Yes ring him, at least you'll know then.
3. Give up driving so as not to put myself in that situation again and help some poor taxi driver to feed his family by getting ferried to & from work by him.

the puerto rican feen said:
Report it to a Garda Station assuming you have his details, so that if the guy comes back claiming from you for whiplash in 3 months you will be covered.

P.S. Don't mention anything about the tunnel sinking, it won't help :)

Thats what im worried about ya see, if he comes back in a months time with something that might not necessarily have been my fault. thats why i was thinking should i ring him now and get the all clear.

didnt mention the tunnel, so i should be ok. ;)

##linda## said:
ya he said he'd be fair with me cause 'he'd rather have luck on his side'.

id be the same, what goes around comes around especially with things like car accidents.

Are you sure he didn't say "I'll be fair with you, because I fancy a fuck on the side?" in which case he is probably waiting for you to ring him.

I really cant believe you admitted you were in the wrong -its the one thing you should never ever do. When I was in an accident, i thought it was my fault, but just stayed silent and let the other driver have their rant. When the police arrived they also asked if anyone wanted to admit liability, I said no.
Always exchange insurance details.....he obviously didnt take yours??

It turned out in my case that eventhough i had originally thought i was in the wrong, when i told the insurance company the details, they decided HE was in the wrong, and ended up claiming for my damage from his insurance.

CorkAnimalFriends said:
I really cant believe you admitted you were in the wrong -its the one thing you should never ever do. When I was in an accident, i thought it was my fault, but just stayed silent and let the other driver have their rant. When the police arrived they also asked if anyone wanted to admit liability, I said no.
Always exchange insurance details.....he obviously didnt take yours??

It turned out in my case that eventhough i had originally thought i was in the wrong, when i told the insurance company the details, they decided HE was in the wrong, and ended up claiming for my damage from his insurance.

i know it was my fault, he wasnt speeding, he didnt stop suddenly, he indicated, it was on a quiet road, it was a stupid mistake on my part.
the thing is and i was saying this to my cousin, who is a garda sergent, and he agreed-that no matter what the situation, if you go into the back of someone's car/van or whatever, as i said above, its is always gonna be the car behinds fault. if you disagree, then please give me an example where the vehicle in front would be completely at fault?

##linda## said:
i know it was my fault, he wasnt speeding, he didnt stop suddenly, he indicated, it was on a quiet road, it was a stupid mistake on my part.
the thing is and i was saying this to my cousin, who is a garda sergent, and he agreed-that no matter what the situation, if you go into the back of someone's car/van or whatever, as i said above, its is always gonna be the car behinds fault. if you disagree, then please give me an example where the vehicle in front would be completely at fault?
I doesn't matter if you were driving backwards down the wrong side of a motorway while wearing a blindfold, talking on your mobile, checking your email, and doing a tango on the bonnet. You still don't admit liability. There are many reasons for this, some of them mentioned here already.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Rock Bar, Gillabbey St.

26th Jun 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Cathal Fitz

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼