Advise on car accident etiquette

Should i ring him

• No its up to him to contact you.

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • Yes ring him, at least you'll know then.

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ok so i had a bit of a collision with a van last friday week.
i was completely at fault so i told yo man that i would cover any damage within reason.
he has tow bar so that pretty much saved is van and did alot of damage to my car. amounting to almost 1000euro. millimeters more and the radiator would need replacing, i was haunted so i was.
anywho, all that happened yo mans van was the bumper was ever so slightly damaged which restricted him opening his back door. it was one of those vans where the back of it was completely flat. he could still open it like, just not as freely as normal. the thing is, this happened last friday week 06th may, he said his van was going in for a service on the tuesday 9th, and that he'd ring me then to let me no whats happening. but i havent heard from him at all at all. the thing is do i ring him or not. will i just let it go and hope he never rings. would ringing him do more harm that good? it was my first 'proper' accident so im not entirely sure how to handle it.

has anyone been in a similar situation?

Was this a commercial van? Sounds like there was very little damage done and commercials go through the wars of bumps and scrapes anyway, my guess is that he doesn't want the hassle of it and probably feels a bit sorry for you that his tow bar saved him and wrecked your car.
He probably won't contact you so best leave it go me thinks ;)

##linda## said:
ok so i had a bit of a collision with a van last friday week.
i was completely at fault so i told yo man that i would cover any damage within reason.
he has tow bar so that pretty much saved is van and did alot of damage to my car. amounting to almost 1000euro. millimeters more and the radiator would need replacing, i was haunted so i was.
anywho, all that happened yo mans van was the bumper was ever so slightly damaged which restricted him opening his back door. it was one of those vans where the back of it was completely flat. he could still open it like, just not as freely as normal. the thing is, this happened last friday week 06th may, he said his van was going in for a service on the tuesday 9th, and that he'd ring me then to let me no whats happening. but i havent heard from him at all at all. the thing is do i ring him or not. will i just let it go and hope he never rings. would ringing him do more harm that good? it was my first 'proper' accident so im not entirely sure how to handle it.

has anyone been in a similar situation?

within reason.... what the fuck is "within reason"

if you were at fault you (or your insurance) should cover all cost...
including cost of renting a van for however long it takes to get fixed.

but to answer your question.... do not ring him, are ya mad. fuck that.
wait for the summons to come to the door.

the ball is in his court, sit tight and if he comes back with some crap about his flux capacitor misfiring since the accident get someone to have a look on your behalf

I would not ring him at all, wait to see of he will contact you. The damage might be so small that he may let it go. Did either of ye call the gards to the accident.

paddypaws said:
the ball is in his court, sit tight and if he comes back with some crap about his flux capacitor misfiring since the accident get someone to have a look on your behalf

thats exactly it,he was going into a main dealer, the main dealer could have come back with a ridiclous cost, that could have cost more than mine,comparing the damage of the 2, then theres no way his would have cost more than mine, no what i mean? in which case i would have asked my mechanica/panel beater look at it. thats what i meant with 'within reason'.

he's not doing himself any favours by not contacting me though.
tube, i went into the back of him, i was always gonna be at fault despite what i really thought. i couldnt deny that it wasnt me.

no one called the guards at the time, but he did ring them about 4 hours later. they subsequently rung me confirm what he said was true.
that was it.

I have a van with work and have a few tip with people if its nothing major I ve let it go a couple of times. I ran into the back of a brand new merc no damage done so he let it go he had every right to have it look at professionlly and charged me for that but what goes around comes around I think

halfhead said:
I have a van with work and have a few tip with people if its nothing major I ve let it go a couple of times. I ran into the back of a brand new merc no damage done so he let it go he had every right to have it look at professionlly and charged me for that but what goes around comes around I think

ya he said he'd be fair with me cause 'he'd rather have luck on his side'.

id be the same, what goes around comes around especially with things like car accidents.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Jackie Fabulous (Americas Got Talent) Plus Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

5th Oct 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

CSM Pop Degree Showcase

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 7pm

More events ▼