4th Seeds in Euro 2008 Draw

We've been seeded 4th by UEFA for the draw. So what countries are we likely to get tomorrow week?

And what countries would we like to get?

I for one would like England and Portugal. Two alleged high seeds but I think we could beat both of them. They are both top seeds though, so we will get one or the other.

Maybe Greece as well, and of course Switzerland and Israel. We owe the Swiss and I'd love to see us hammer them in Croke Park.

Switzerland qualify as hosts, so we can't get them.

The weakest possible group looks like

Greece
Croatia
Slovakia
Ireland
Albania
Cyprus
Liechtenstein

The strongest (with us in it - Belgium might be tougher from pool 4)

France
Italy
Ukraine
Ireland
Hungary
Belarus
Kazakhstan

Out da Lough Like said:
We've been seeded 4th by UEFA for the draw. So what countries are we likely to get tomorrow week?

And what countries would we like to get?

I for one would like England and Portugal. Two alleged high seeds but I think we could beat both of them. They are both top seeds though, so we will get one or the other.

Maybe Greece as well, and of course Switzerland and Israel. We owe the Swiss and I'd love to see us hammer them in Croke Park.
Probably better if we avoid England.Nothing to do with actually being good enough to beat them.On there last visit to lansdowne they wrecked the stadium.I can imagine what damage they d cause at croke park if like in the last game, we took the lead against them!!

General Michael Collins said:
Probably better if we avoid England.Nothing to do with actually being good enough to beat them.On there last visit to lansdowne they wrecked the stadium.I can imagine what damage they d cause at croke park if like in the last game, we took the lead against them!!
We'll just sacrifice bobby robson on the pitch to the GAA gods. they wont be long fixing those seats.

i dunno about you lot, but i can't wait. i have a sense of optimism that i never had with kerr at helm. croker will be a huge boost to the team for the big games.
4th seeds asys it all about kerrs legacy.

I dunno about you lot, but at the moment I have a sense of dread about the whole thing. Any time I look at the list of players all I can do is shake my head. Then I start thinking, well, if X plays well, and we get something out of Y, the keeper and back four might be ok, and you never know, Z might pan out after all and, and, and. And then I realise that I'm only kidding myself. Unless we find a holding midfielder we won't be able to control games for spells and it doesn't matter what forwards or wingers we have, we won't have enough possesion to create enough chances. Although it'll be nice to show off headquarters and maybe 11 guys hustling hard can do enough to control some possession (See, talking myself into it again).

I don't think the draw matters too much. We've always seemed to do ok when we got drawn against handy teams (Holland, Portugal, France, Yugoslavia), or at least not do any worse than we do against the second tier (Russia, Switzerland, Croatia). It may be that it will come down to whether Mr. Staunton can locate some semblance of testicular fortitude in the talent deprived panel he'll be taking on.

Sure, he needs a bit of luck with the draw, but with the Croker factor, and sir bobby to guide him, i am fairly optimistic....also, with 2 sides qualifying automatically from each Euro group, we have a chance.....

We are seen a team to avoid by most sides, as in, they would not fancy coming to Dublin where we have a great record!!! Also, we only lost one game in the last qualifying, to France. Most sides will look at us a team who they will lose points to, so will want to avoid us !!!!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

DJ Jus Me

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼