30KM Speed Limit for Cork City Centre

Not that you get much chance to go more than 30km/p/h on Patricks St with traffic:

Press Release
10 November 2011

New 30 km/h Speed Zone for Cork City Centre

In Cork City Centre, several million euro has been spent on the upgrading and refurbishment of the main street network. In order to derive the maximum benefit from the huge investment, in terms of the improvement of the overall environment and comfort/safety for pedestrians, a 30 km/h speed limit zone is being introduced. The main streets involved in the proposed new 30 kph speed zone are St. Patrick’s Street, Grand Parade, Oliver Plunkett Street, North Main Street, Cornmarket Street and adjacent streets.

The purpose of the 30 km/h zone is to give the City Centre a higher profile in terms of being pedestrian/shopper/visitor friendly. It does not involve any restrictions to the City Centre/parking on-street or access to car parks. It should be noted that all motorists with destinations to the City Centre “become” pedestrians eventually and the objective is to make the City Centre more attractive and safer for them.

The use of 30km/h zones is widespread throughout Europe and is seen as a major road safety measure. The City Centre, because of the presence of pubs, restaurants, etc. operates a 24-hour economy and traffic speeds can increase during low traffic volumes periods during evening and night-time. The following is taken from the Road Safety Authority’s (RSA) website and is based on information from the UK:

Remember a 5km/h difference in your speed could be the difference between life and death for a vulnerable road user like a pedestrian.
Hit by a car at 60kph, 9 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed.
Hit by a car at 50kph, 5 out of 10 of pedestrians will be killed.
Hit by a car at 30kph, 1 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed.”

Cork City Centre is traditionally a busy area for pedestrians who often cross roads at areas other than recognised crossing points, and while it is impossible to predict where accidents might occur, the 30 km/h zone will give a sense of more pedestrian priority and safety. It will send out a positive message that the City Centre is an inviting, attractive and safe place to visit.

The new 30 km/h speed limit zone will come into effect on Wednesday 16th November 2011.

ENDS

It's about time. Some delivery drivers and taxi drivers in particular regularly break pedestrian crossing lights at 60kph. Hopefully being caught doing double the speed limit will lead to them being banned.

The LED lights on Oliver Plunkett Street are after being destroyed by drivers of delivery vehicles driving like idiots.

"Ah but shut it was a delivery. Deliveries are vital. I saved almost a minute by racing from one red light to the next. The truck can take it, biy. She can take it, and time is money. By accumulating minutes, I plan on being a day ahead of myself come March 2013. That's €200 out of thin air. I've a plan."

very handy the 30km when all you can do really is abt 15km

and what happens if you do over 30 at 5am when theres no one around- theres no speed cameras in there

It could be false correlation, but I definitely noticed buses taking about 20 minutes longer from City Center to Churchtown where my granny lives in Dublin since the speed limit there.

How many people actually get knocked down in City Center?

It could be false correlation, but I definitely noticed buses taking about 20 minutes longer from City Center to Churchtown where my granny lives in Dublin since the speed limit there.

How many people actually get knocked down in City Center?

If people use a pedestrian crossing then very few.

But the legislature must do something to justify it's existence, salaries, pension etc.

"Hit by a car at 50kph, 5 out of 10 of pedestrians will be killed.
Hit by a car at 30kph, 1 out of 10 pedestrians will be killed.”

They'll cut it to 15kph next to save the statistical 1 in 10. 'Cos it shows they're doing "something".

What about the 30 real people waiting tonight to see a doctor in the emergency room in CUH??

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy
The Roundy, Castle St.

19th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Fiesta Latina with DJ Wilros

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼