2022 Premier Intermediate football

Population: Cork 580k Kerry 155k Football Clubs: Cork 146 Kerry 52 Taking proportions into account Cork should be able have 24 senior teams to Kerry’s 8. Similar in Intermediate. The fact is, Kerry are better at football.
I don't think that is or ever has been in dispute, a fighting chance for our clubs in Munster is all we want. The challenge is difficult enough with out pitching teams from different grades together

I think there’s two sides to it really.

Yes, sending St. Michaels out would see a Cork side be more competitive with the likes of Rathmore, but on the other side, Kanturk are probably well above the rest of the Munster sides at this level (and probably many more around the country), they eased past the Clare qualifiers the round before by something like 14 points, can only imagine what St. Michael’s would do to a team like that and how it would benefit no one really in the grand scheme of things.

Ultimately, these are bonus games aren’t they? Nice if you win sure, but not the be all and end all if you don’t, not quite meaningless games at the end of an already long year. The standards and gradings across the country vary too much to read anything massive into them.

Look at Ballygiblin, they were in the 6th level of Cork hurling last year and lost the junior All Ireland final by a point, they were tested more in the Avondhu championship than they were in the semi final of the All Ireland and they seem well on course to get back to Croke Park again, should we realistically be sending a stronger team than Ballygiblin into that junior championship when they’ve shown they’re well able for anyone they’ve met? Personally don’t see the point or benefit of it.

Population: Cork 580k Kerry 155k Football Clubs: Cork 146 Kerry 52 Taking proportions into account Cork should be able have 24 senior teams to Kerry’s 8. Similar in Intermediate. The fact is, Kerry are better at football.
That's stretching the football numbers quite a bit I'd say. The proper stats on both codes is more like 4 or 5 football clubs in Cork and 4 or 5 hurling clubs in Kerry. Very few dual clubs in Kerry but 90% of Cork clubs play both codes.
Since it's regarded as 'only sport' in Cork at the highest level, we are unlikely to change this culture any time soon.
To put it another way, Kerry is 99.9% a football county and Cork is 99.9% a dual code county.

I think there’s two sides to it really.

Yes, sending St. Michaels out would see a Cork side be more competitive with the likes of Rathmore, but on the other side, Kanturk are probably well above the rest of the Munster sides at this level (and probably many more around the country), they eased past the Clare qualifiers the round before by something like 14 points, can only imagine what St. Michael’s would do to a team like that and how it would benefit no one really in the grand scheme of things.

Ultimately, these are bonus games aren’t they? Nice if you win sure, but not the be all and end all if you don’t, not quite meaningless games at the end of an already long year. The standards and gradings across the country vary too much to read anything massive into them.

Look at Ballygiblin, they were in the 6th level of Cork hurling last year and lost the junior All Ireland final by a point, they were tested more in the Avondhu championship than they were in the semi final of the All Ireland and they seem well on course to get back to Croke Park again, should we realistically be sending a stronger team than Ballygiblin into that junior championship when they’ve shown they’re well able for anyone they’ve met? Personally don’t see the point or benefit of it.
I fully agree with you, especially on the Ballygiblin point. I also heard at the weekend that Alan Walsh is going playing Aussie Rules next year.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼