2022 Premier Senior Hurling

If Setanta had stayed at home he would have made some amount of cash at that time as hurling in Cork was on a high and he was known everywhere within the GAA world.
Agreed, in hindsight Setanta’s move was a disaster from a sporting and financial perspective. He was the full package from a marketing POV: electric on the field, had the looks, the name, the multi-cultural background, he was poised to be the GAAs poster boy. ”Brand Setanta” would have cleaned up with endorsements etc (and still would be to this day) if managed properly.

Instead he went and played mostly second string in a nauseatingly boring sport where he is best remembered for kicking a teammate up in the arse as he lay prone on the ground. I’m sure he’ll tell you he’s happy with his decision but for me the guy is a Greek tragedy when he should have been a legend.

Agreed, in hindsight Setanta’s move was a disaster from a sporting and financial perspective. He was the full package from a marketing POV: electric on the field, had the looks, the name, the multi-cultural background, he was poised to be the GAAs poster boy. ”Brand Setanta” would have cleaned up with endorsements etc (and still would be to this day) if managed properly.

Instead he went and played mostly second string in a nauseatingly boring sport where he is best remembered for kicking a teammate up in the arse as he lay prone on the ground. I’m sure he’ll tell you he’s happy with his decision but for me the guy is a Greek tragedy when he should have been a legend.
Agree with most of what you're saying but think you're a bit harsh on his AFL career, he played 6/7 years at the highest level with a moderate level of success. At the same time, man he could've been a legend up there with the likes of Ray Cummins & JBM.

Ah here, after one season of senior IC hurling, not doubting it was a great season. This place would crack you up for building up players in to greatness on the basis of one or two seasons playing senior hurling. ;)
By the way he played 80 times over 6 seasons for Carlton, not counting his rookie one.

Ah here, after one season of senior IC hurling, not doubting it was a great season. This place would crack you up for building up players in to greatness on the basis of one or two seasons playing senior hurling. ;)
By the way he played 80 times over 6 seasons for Carlton, not counting his rookie one.
Think you should have a look at the other recipients of Young Hurler of the Year before you proclaim that people are over egging his potential.

Think you should have a look at the other recipients of Young Hurler of the Year before you proclaim that people are over egging his potential.
Oh he won an award, that would make him a legend in the future, sorry. Seeing as we are doing suggestions, can I suggest you stop hiding behind an alt. It's fooling no one ;)

True there was no guarantee he’d have sustained that level long term but theres no denying he was saying one of the electrifying players in recent memory, there’s something exhilarating watching a guy with that pace and size get the ball and go for goal.

I honestly can’t think of a more marketable player in the history of the GAA, not to say he’d have gone on to be an all time great player by any stretch but more like he could have could been the GAA’s Beckham. He had it all in that regard. No doubt in my mind that he would have made more coin had he stuck with the hurling.

80 games in the AFL is no mean feat but I doubt there’s many Carlton fans who remember him, let alone any other AFL followers.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

31st Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Music At Midday

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 12pm

More events ▼