2022 Premier Junior Hurling

Super championship - two semi finals to ET - would have to fancy Ballygiblin to win it out now but their dual involvement carries obvious dangers. Two AI JH finalists from last 3 years, this was the final imo.

Not surprised at Tracton getting job done v Kilbrittan, eventually, thought they had gone back a bit this year, they were in a very soft group, and had one or two injuries, I presume Maurice Sexton didn't play after that receiving that horrible injury v Barryroe?

Last edited:
Super championship - two semi finals to ET - would have to fancy Ballygiblin to win it out now but their dual involvement carries obvious dangers.

Not surprised at Tracton getting job done v Kilbrittan, eventually, thought they had gone back a bit this year, they were in a very soft group, and had one or two injuries, I presume Maurice Sexton didn't play after that receiving that horrible injury v Barryroe?
He played the whole game but didn’t really do much . Fair play to him for fronting up in fairness . Very impressed with tracton the way they won that game will bring huge belief to them as a group. Ronan Walsh has to be up there with the top scorers ever in cork club hurling . What a player .

The finals of the PJHC on Saturday 19 October 2022, it seems to be a standalone fixture .

Hard one to call Ballygiblin to edge it perhaps . Tracton coach Frank Hickey quoted in the examiner saying their squad have great togetherness so Tracton as usual would be a tough team to beat . Could well go to extra time again.

The referee for the Tracton v Kilbrittain game was a young referee so we need to encourage these fellas as they gain more experience. Not sure if they are being assessed or not but he should be encouraged to be less whistle happy, the game never flowed and with so many frees it was stop start, despite the papers etc saying it was a classic. He also needs to trust the umpires and linesmen a bit more, he must have overruled them 5+ times on not too controversial calls. If I was asked to officiate with him I'd say no if every call I make it going to be overruled.
Great win for Tracton, deserved to win it in normal time and pulled it out of the bag in extra time when it looked like it was slipping away. Will be underdogs the next day for definite but with no county title since 1990 and no county final since 2010 we'll enjoy the build up and see what happens on the day.

I made this game on Sat also. I would agree that the ref was a bit odd and whistle happy, but the inconsistency in his decision making was frustrating, and made for a strange game. He was whistle happy on steps and throwing the ball, but would call a free when it wasn't obvious and then not give a free when it looked much more obvious. That was across the board, not favoring one team or the other, it just seemed to make for a strange game.
I thought Tracton looked much the hungrier team. They were very dogged, won lots of turnovers and their work rate was excellent. Ronan Wash was outstanding on the dead balls. Michael O'Sullivan, John Good and Graham Webb all had brilliant games and epitomised Tracton's work rate. Kilbrittain looked like a team that hadn't been challenged this year, but need to be able to cope with that if they expect to be winning counties. Was great to see Maurice Sexton on the field as apparently it was a spinal/vertebre injury he had from the Barryroe match, but he wasn't as influential as he usually is/was in years gone by. Phillip Wall and Mark Hickey were kept pretty quite from play. Granted, Ive seen very little of Ballygiblon, and I think they will be favorites, but I think Tracton's work rate and experience could count for a lot in the final. I wouldn't right them off.

Went to the Ballygiblin v Russell Rovers game on Saturday. Strength of Ballygiblin panel told in extra time - they had subs to bring on which offered them options and improved performance. Rovers used 1 sub and brought back on the player they had already taken off as their 2nd sub. I knew they were tight on numbers with a limited pick but its hard to be competitive up the grades if you have that shallow a panel.
Ballygiblin were stronger in ET and picked off a couple of late scores when rovers were looking for equaliser which stretched it out to 3 points in the end. Thought the ref was fairly poor and inconsistent throughout - in my opinion and from a lot of people around where I was standing he seemed to give Ballygiblin every chance to equalise the game in normal time and they pointed 3 frees to bring it to extra time in last 5 mins.
In the same period he seemed to let obvious fouls go on Beausang in particular. Maybe its my leaning towards an underdog and the east cork team but i'd be interested in anyone elses opinion who was there? I thought Rovers should have closed out the game in this period but they weren't able to.

Game was littered with wides by both sides - a strong wind and intensity of tackling probably contributed to that! There was some good displays by the likes of Keane, O'Mahony, O'Sullivan and Beston. Darragh Flynn made the difference when he came on and used his class to pounce on a few unforced errors by Rovers defenders. Great to see him back and hopefully he can kick on now.
Brian Hartnett is still tearing it up for the rovers even though he was well marked - he got a cracker of a goal and was unmarkable at times which is still great to see even though he is clocking up the miles at this stage. Beausang played well too despite hitting a no. of wides and caused real havoc when he was moving through the Ballygiblin defence.

Think Tracton will tear into Ballygiblin in the final and will work hard to upset the Ballygiblin star men. For a town and hinterland the size of their pick, Ballygiblin really need to kick on and move up a few grades - it should help to drive the game on in Avondhu if they were up Intermediate/premier intermediate. They should look across Avondhu/Duhallow to see what Fermoy and Kanturk have achieved. That's the level they should be at.

I suspect Tracton discipline could catch them in the county final as they are inclined to lose the head but they've a chance all the same.

This fixture is the standalone fixture in da parc next Saturday. Interesting one, they must be anticipating a big crowd in from both respective clubs.
Doubt they're expecting a crowd, just maybe wasn't anything to double it up with. Crowd will most likely be lost in there on Saturday

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Niamh Regan
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

14th Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼