Teachers

I know you’re having the bantz, but why would teachers not have their teaching experience abroad counted? What engineer, architect, solicitor, electrician, plumber, accountant or whatever comes home from a stint abroad and has the years cancelled off their CV? That makes no sense

It’s not that straight forward. Time served working for your employer trumps time served working for someone else imo.

We’d have several apprentices qualify every year. Some of them obviously like to travel and make a few memories all over the world with a bit of well paid work due to their irish training.

Many come back after a few years and re-join the business but the experience of what they did abroad is generally of no interest to me in terms of what they get paid.

Say Jim goes away and Joe stays. Joe gets his min. 3.5% every year after slogging in shite weather and honing his skills post-qualifying.

Jim can fuck off with his surfboard tattoo and tongue piercing if he thinks he can re-join on Joe’s level.

A shocking look. I respect what they do but their unions make them look terrible. A lazy fucker look. Ffs just over half an hour a week extra.
“Down with that sort of thing”
Going by media coverage those teachers unions conferences always reminds of Fr Ted for some reason. Teachers get very well paid in Ireland compared to other countries probably because it’s a profession that has provided a lot of our political leadership.

A shocking look. I respect what they do but their unions make them look terrible. A lazy fucker look. Ffs just over half an hour a week extra.
Agree. Obviously unions will try to get the best deal they can but talking about strikes over this is completely over the top.

I know you’re having the bantz, but why would teachers not have their teaching experience abroad counted? What engineer, architect, solicitor, electrician, plumber, accountant or whatever comes home from a stint abroad and has the years cancelled off their CV? That makes no sense

The truth is that the Dept of Education are happy acknowledge their experience and offer them positions, but then turn the years abroad against them for their salary only
My understanding is that years worked abroad ARE recognised for the purposes of increments when Irish teachers return home - as long as they've been working in recognised state schools while abroad. It's only where they've been working in (usually big money) private schools with unknown curricula and/or standards that the experience isn't counted. But of course the whingers would earn less in the state schools....

To discourage younger people from doing the same?

By all means go to Dubai when you qualify, but don't expect a red carpet awaiting you when you get back.

Same with doctors and nurses. If you want to settle in Ireland, then by all means do so. But don't think you can spend 10 years taking photos with camels while earning top coin while we sit around waiting for you to come back and start work.

There are plenty of accountants and electricians around the place, and tbh any fucking idiot could be a solicitor, so they don't get the same premium when they go to Dubai or Abu Dhabi, and consequently we don't have this same issue with those professions.

Teachers and nurses however are in high demand and young Irish people qualifying in those professions know that they can exploit that with a few lucrative years abroad before rocking back into Ireland. Well the teachers have been shown that it's not that easy. Loyalty works both ways.
Big issue with nurses in particular. Have a nice few years in their 20s abroad living the life of Reilly and earning big bucks tax free in Dubai or wherever. Come home with enough cash to buy a house or at least put a big deposit towards, and then start popping out the babies after a couple of years, hardly seen on the wards for half a decade or more, on full pay the whole time.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

22nd May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

Peppa Pig's Fun Day Out

Cork Opera House, Tomorrow @ 1pm

More events ▼